Musicman Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Seeing as I'm about to purchase one of these puppies...

Anyone got any complaints about these basses? what are their weak points?
  2. have you had a chance to play one? that should take care of your concerns.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I guess that about 10 zillions SR5-related threads can be found here. You should do a search.

I have an SR5 and have no complaints about it. I wanted a workhorse for my gigs, something that could fit rock, pop, jazz, blues, R&B, soul music, country and anything else you may imagine, and I have this workhorse.

Hope this helps,
  4. I have played one, and loved it, thats why I'm trying to find the cash. Just wanted to know if there were any hidden surprises down th road that are common to these basses?
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    prob best built bass for the money on the market.. great resale, the design and sound has easily stood the test of time and there is a reason for that.. they kick ass.
  6. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Love my SR5 to death but the closeness of the G string to the edge of the fretboard still bugs me. All it would take is a bridge with sideways movement, but I don't want to mod it.

Other than that I am completely satisfied. One of the best basses for cutting through in a live setting.
  7. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    If you don't buy new, check the B-string -if you do buy new, check it anyway :) . Some people start filing the nut which can render the b to be very thickness- or brand-specific, in other words it doesnt ring or lacks sustain if you use the wrong strings. Ask the owner if the nut was modified. If so don't forget to ask which strings to use.
    I second the remark of the g being close to the edge of the fretboard, but is no prob for me, most SR5's are very rugged and sound very good.
    Hope this helps.
  8. thanx! guys. So Janek65 you are saying that the SR5 has a very different sound with different strings? what strings would you recommend on it?
  9. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    I agree the G-String is close to the neck.. i agree too to check for the B.

i'm less satisfied with the EB (surely because it's my only 5string fretted..) in the studio cause of it Hi-fi sound that i don't find correct for everything. ( like Woody-tone-needed-song-and-style...)
    These bass have One sound.... that can be a problem.. but What A Killer Sound! I'm Completely satisfied with it in Live situation.. cut very well.. great B... Great playing.

For the String i'm totally pleased with DR Sunbeam... i'm on DR Low-rider presently and i'm not satisfied like with the SunBeam....
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A little heavy but the sound makes up for it. The Series/Parallel switch gives it more voices. The sound seems to sit in well regardless of the preamp settings so you can go from fingers to slappage or pick within the same song without having to fiddle with the EQ and it will still sound right.

My B is good. I use D'Addario XL170s.
  11. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I had my nut recut for the G and now its perfect.
  12. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, it's an old argument, and I don't particularly want to have it again, but......not.

You want modern, hi-fi? String it with rounds.

You want old school thump? Try TI flats.

And then there's that three way switch, right hand position.....

Well, you see what I mean.

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I have the pleasure of being able to play a fretless SR5 w/ piezo and 3 band, on loan from a friend. That bass is just amazing. I don't think it is a one trick pony at all. Even if you turn the piezo off, it is still plenty versatile. Jack nails it. These basses seem to be very responsive to technique. This bass is strung with TI Jazz Rounds and it covers a lot of sonic ground.

I might have my sights set on a fretless Bongo 5, but the SR5 is one awesome bass. (I mean *might*, Jackson) :bag:
  14. I agree, one sound it does not have - with that switch, it's got at least 3! - and with a decent eq on your amp, well, the possiblities are nearly endless...
  15. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Yeah i know what you mean... there's different way to play it... but in the end the thing is that it all come trough the same Pre-amp sound...

Sure that with different strings it'll came out differently...
    But that's the kind of bass that goes well with an amp.. i mean that an amp will make the sound more organic... i don't know if you know what i mean?
  16. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    1) It is so awesome that you will want to sleep next to it in your practice room at night.

2) You might end up spending more time addressing the silly "one trick pony" assertation than actually playing it.

3) The battery compartment on my '93 is covered by a metal plate held on with woodscrews. This bugs the crap out of me. I don't know if this was altered for newer versions.

4) The G string thing seems to be common. I also have a replacement nut and have no problems with it.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The P bass also has one sound. I guess it's a sucky bass.
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you get the HH or HS models, there are a much wider range of useful tones. Its a major upgrade IMO, but that bridge pickup sound will always be the king.

Yes, the G is close to the fingerboard edge, you have to be concious not to bend it outward when playing. It bugs me a little, but its just a matter or refining your technique.

I like DR fat beams on my ray5HH and sterling.
  20. I used an SR5 as my #1 for 5 years. Great bass and well built. IMHO, it's tone works in a lot of different situations, but it's not my first choice if I needed to have a lot of different tones on the same gig.

The string spacing is tighter than standard Fender spacing, and the neck is a little chunky, but I was comfortable with it.