Musicman Stingray, anyone ever added coil tap switch with any success/advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HalfManHalfBass, Dec 23, 2005.

1. HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003

I am considering fitting a 3 way on/on/on switch to the control plate of my 1995 Stingray four string to give me parallel, series and single coil sounds....

Has anyone ever done this and have any regrets / advice they can offer? I realise I will need to drill a small hole for the switch, (I expect I will put it between the bass and middle controls - it's a three band eq circuit) and that the outputs will vary greatly in each mode.

Will I greatly affect the resale value of this bass, are the newly acquired additional tonal options worth it? (I did own a Stingray 5 with the same 3 configurations and didn't think much of the single coil sound...).

When I wire the switch for the single coil sounds, which coil sounds best? The nearest the neck?...

Many thanks for any input you can offer me.

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Unless it's an older Ray I doubt the resale value would be affected if the switch job was done respectably and is not placed in the way of other controls. The MM's have those PCB's in my recollection, otherwise you could just use a push-pull volume and skip the hole drilling. There may be another way around it but nothing comes to mind.

Seems to me most guys end up not using at least one of those combinations and parallel/single is typically the one. Currently, for me altering tone outside the bass is preferable. Looks like that may be changing again.

Which sound would be preferred only you can decide and even that can depend on what music you're playing and what you're playing through.