MusicMan Stingray EX question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jameswhat?, May 19, 2007.

1. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    what does "ex" mean? is it a special stingray edition or what? sorry if i am asking a stupid question... :)

2. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    never heard of it myself... interested

3. The Stingray EX was manufactured in Japan utilizing US parts, by japanese EBMM-distributor Kanda Shokai. The bass was for the japanese market and is discontinued.

4. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    do you know more about these stingrays? can you compare them to standard ones, please?

5. interesting. id love to hear more about these things.

6. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    I'm very intrigued. Never heard of these either.

7. I have an EX guitar, put together perfectly and no issues or quarrels with it.

I imagine you could expect similar quality between US and Japanese models. Headstock differs (no model name) that should be it.

8. Here's a picture/link:

http://www.kandashokai.co.jp/mm/bass/sr_ex1.htm

I'm sorry, I don't know anything else about them. I remember reading about it on the EBMM-forum. I'm a member there.
    Since they're not made anymore finding a used one is the only option. They were cheaper I think, but not that much cheaper. If you're thinking of getting a SR, I'd rather just buy an american made, new or used. The only appeal of the EX must be some kind of collector's value as far as I can tell.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 16, 2021