MusicMan Stingray HS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lasanchorb, Jan 4, 2018.

1. lasanchorb

lasanchorb Inactive

Jan 2, 2018
    Hi everyone. I was curious about how many people, out there, are or were in the posession of a MusicMan Stingray HS, a model which seems to not have a lot of appreciation in the MMan community. I got mine in 2009, new, from Amazon, and in the moment of purchase I only observed another one identical to this one, Ice Blue color, already discontinued. A very interesting trait is the phantom coil, which many people do not know is located beneath the HS pickguard. I always thought it was a very nice sight and what a shame it would always be hidden from view. Found a very nice transparent pickguard on Reverb, and now I have fun listening to people watching this with a puzzled face and saying "that is a fake because no Stingray came with two single coil pick ups", lol...just curious as to if someone out there has the HS model, a very versatile configuration indeed. 20180104_002221.jpg 20180104_002227.jpg

Epitaph04, bassomane and dralionux like this.
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Can the phantom pick up be converted into a real one?

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It could be, but all is not as it seems...
    IIRC the phantom is engaged whenever an odd number of 'real' coils is selected, to maintain hum-cancelling. With the existing switch arrangement (see later), if it was a real pickup, you would lose the single-coil tones, so S alone (bridge or neck) would sound more like a J with both volumes dimed - scoop central. Given that a dual-S option is already available, there would arguably be little point making the phantom live.
    Again IIRC, the pickups are not wired directly to the selector switch but go via the preamp, which has level/gain compensation built in depending on the pickup(s) selected, so you would probably need to rethink the preamp. Of course nothing is impossible but it's not as simple as, say, a 5-position switch on a Stratocaster...
    YMMV...

dralionux and jcsk8 like this.
  4. lasanchorb

lasanchorb Inactive

Jan 2, 2018
    body-46.jpg

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    You can find a similar functional drawing for the Sterling bass, but under the hood there is more going on...

6. sotos

sotos

Mar 4, 2015
    The problem, in my version at least is, that any position that uses also the phantom coil, has a volume dropdown of about 20% percent, which is odd...