1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman StingRay , MIA Precision 5 or Marcus Miller Sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badboy1984, May 12, 2010.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Hard to decide what to get out of the three.

Already own a Fender Jazz so i'm not too sure about Marcus Miller Jazz.

2. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Apple, pear, or banana?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Tough one.

All three are legendary tones, but if you already own a jazz, I'd go with the Precision or the Stingray.

Personally, the only tones that I need/want are a Stingray and a Precision. Currently, I play the P5 with flats almost exclusively, and I really like it. I made a few mods and adjustments to get it to where I want it, but overall it's a nice, well-made bass.

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Those are three very different basses. It would be hard to compare. It depends on what your needs are.

5. They really are about as far apart as you can get.

I've got to agree with CapnSev, if you have a Jazz, it might be worthwhile extending the tonal stable a bit more and getting a P or 'ray.

I use HH stingrays most of the time, they cover all basses for me.

(get the pun there? eh eh eh)

6. You're choosing between three very different beasts my friend. Pretty much an apple, an orange, and a pear. The Marcus Miller is a slap machine. The P-Bass will do dang near anything (I'm biased; P-Bass Fan) and the Stingray will also do anything, just a little differently.

What kind of music are you playing? Etc.. More details about what you're going to do with it and such would help leaps and bounds.

7. This may sound silly, but I think the Jazz is the bomb and you should keep playing that, unless you're doing death metal. :)

8. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I'll put in a plug for the Stingray. I have never been in a situation that didn't call for it...it's the only bass I need! I may even get a fretless version because I like it so much.

9. Hmm, you may be onto something there . . .

rays.

:bag:

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Currently I have 3 bass. Fender Classic 60 Jazz with J-Retrol, Peavey Grind 6 string bass with good mod and Warwick Corvette 4 with EMG.

The warwick is going out of my collection so another bass will replace him. Either those 3 bass.

I play alot of different stuff, from Church Worship stuff like Hillsong, Matt Redman, Tim hughes to Classic Rock stuff like Guns n Roses, Rush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi etc

Basically i play a wide range of stuff ....... i really like my jazz and nothing wrong with that but just want something different to cover more tone. Sound like MIA Precision 5 string or Musicman StingRay i guess.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I currently enjoy a 2002 MIA Precision.

I really want a Precision V built my way. But Fender has stated that I would have to enlist the Custom Shop for that. So, I am pricing that and an Olympic White version. Grunt.

2nd choice would be a EBMM Big Al 5 with the sss configuration.

3rd choice is a Stingray 5.

12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    my jazz bass is Olympic White and the MIA precision 5 they got in the shop is also Olympic White so if i do get the P i will have the twins ......

I think i may need to go to the shop and see what they have to offer, is big chunk of money this so i need to find the best.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 'custom' request was hardly extraordinary. I want a black Precision V body screwed to a Precision V rosewood neck and a tort guard...nuthin' more special than that. Since Fender doesn't offer that combo, even though the parts are all 'there' in the same factory, I have to pay more for a guy to grab a black P-V body from one line, and a P-V neck from another, grab a tort guard from the parts bin & screw 'em together.

They must need weeks of special training in some exotic location to perform such an auduous task.

Or, I could get the Big Al 5 in any color combo I want.

14. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I think i got my eye hooked on the Musicman StingRay

15. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Tough one. All great and classic tones. IMO, though, a J and a P is essential... However, even though you have a J, the 4-string MM is quite different - especially in active mode.

Or how about this one?

[​IMG]

(It's just a mock-up, of course :D)

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Prices also from £950 (Marcus Miller) --> £1050 (MIA P 5) --> £1400 (Musicman)

I gonna have to check in to see the shop. but i know if i buy a stingray from ebay it will cost around £650 - 750 which is half of the cost.

17. For me it is DEFINITELY a Stingray and then a P bass....I play the Ray 99% of the time but I need a P on occasion and just got one a couple of weeks ago for a project and decided to keep it...

Peace,

T

18. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    hmm, decision is hard to made ........ Altho I got my eye on the StingRay but I also saw a 75 Jazz (Vintage) mint condition in the shop for £1200 as well ......... could probably knock a few penny off as well.

19. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Go with the P

20. andrew1306

andrew1306

Jun 7, 2009
    Brutal - "Classic rock" like GnR and RHCP - ouch I feel old! I guess Boston has been downgraded to old rock :bag: