Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Stingray or Lakland Skyline 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Apr 29, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm faced with a dilema. I intend to buy a new bass this summer to do some more funky stuff that doesn't sound so hot on my MIM P. I like Stingrays and I know I could get one sooner than a Lakland because I won't have a chance to play one. Here's where the real dilema comes in. For a graduation gift my brother is flying me to Chicago in late July to see the Warped tour, and while I have some free time in Chi-town I intend to take a look around the Lakland factory. I'm sure I'll have a chance to play one or more there. While I want to try the Laklands and of course purchase one if I like it better, I also want to have a new bass as soon as possible. There's a slight possiblity I'll get both, depending if I get a job at a music store that I applied for. On a side note, can you purchase Lakland basses from the factory if you're visiting? If so, how much are they? Obviously you wouldn't pay list price, right? Oh well, just any info or advice anyone can give me.

-Dirk

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    its a price jump bra... a good ray will hit ya around 800 used. a lak will run ya about 900-1300. lak is more versatile ... but a strerling or a ray 5 is also pretty damn durrable. you're call

3. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    If you want funk and you want the most funk for your dollar, a used Stingray is a very good choice.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    apples and oranges.... different type of pickup, different kind of woods/neck shape etc..

play both for a long time and see which one you are more comfortable with.

The Lakland could be more versatile since it has 2 pickups and more knobs to play around with.. but Stingray has its OWN type of sound :)

DM

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From my experience communicating with Dan Lakin and that of others who asked to be let in the door of Lakin's shop, the worst you may hear is a polite "not at this time." I've read the accounts of a couple of Lakland owners who wanted to see the Skylines and got the royal tour. My guess it probably has more to do with your ability to flexi to their schedule and how you ask them rather than what you're asking.

If you don't think my input is invalid because I have a 44-02 with a B string, a.k.a., "55-02,";

- all I can say is you may be very sorry if you don't try the Skyline. I love Rays. But they only do one thing very well for me. The 02 Skyline, to me, is like having a Ray, plus a Fender. It conforms pretty well to Lakin's concept of a Ray-Jazz tonal hybrid, (depending on how you string it, set the dip switch, and your techniques).

FWIW, I think the ubiquitousness of the Ray makes you stand out among other bassists about as much as having a sphincter, (cosmetically and tonally). But, it you don't want "different", so what??? ( conformity is desirable in some circles; look at the hordes of PRS-playing guitarists :eek: ).

For example, I played with some out-of-town guys last winter and when they saw my my basses, their first comment was, "Thanks God! Someone without a Stingray!" (But I still really like them in a nostalgic sense).

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You have excellent taste.

I find the Skylines to be outrageously good. I was a former owner of a 55-94, and I found the electronics on the mellow side. I suggest trying the 55-01 before making up your mind on Lakland.
    I prefer it to the 55-02/55-94 sound and its less expensive.

I'm very familar with the SR5. It is an extremely aggressive, funky instrument, without loads of versatility. It's the defintive bass for slap, pop, and funk, but might not be the best for some jazz and folksy stuff, though you could CERTAINLY get by with it in all situations.

Both sound really, really good.

The biggest differences could be summed up as:

* Stingray - more aggressive, smaller neck (34" and less thick, with a short headstock), heavier to hold

* Skyline - chunkier neck, more versatility, more clarity on B due to 35" neck, lighter