Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan Stingray Replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by booch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey guys,

I know there are several companies that make replacements. What is you experience with these? The thing I miss from the original Stingray is the warmth of sound. Or is it not supposed to sound that way?...

Thanks!

2. Change your strings. Mess with the EQ. Change pickups as a last resort; I bet you can get a real warm thump out of that bass with some flatwounds on there.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Always preferred the original over the replacements myself.

4. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
  5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    How long have you had it?
    I, too, would recommend trying different strings before doing any surgery. These basses are more versatile than most people think.

6. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks for the info!

However, I would not call the stingray's tone warm. It has a very strong punch to it and cuts through the mix all right. But fiddling with the EQ does not change much. Sure, you can add a ton of bass to it, but it does not make the tone soft and warm, it remains just as aggressive, with a lot of bass boost...

It is not really possible to play this instrument a lot of ways, it just doesn't react well to the changes in the fingering style. If you pick softer, you get the same tone, just at a smaller volume. Not a very sensitive instrument.

So this is why I was wondering if changing electronics+pickups would help this a bit.

7. Booch, your experiences are the exact reason I got rid of mine.

8. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Below is a clip of my band. I'm playing a Stingray fingerstyle with flatwounds and the stock pickup and I personally really dig how it sits in the mix. It's definitely something different than the brittle high-end sound the 'Ray is normally associated with.

1.28MB mp3 sound clip

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Try a pickup with an alnico magnet. That's what the earlier Stingray's came with. I put SD Basslines alnicos on all 3 of my Sterlings. You can always put it back like it was if you don't like the tone. Seymour has his real world guarantee,that if you don't like the pickups,you can send them back. You can't loose as far as I'm concerned.There are a lot of hardcore folks that will poormouth you for changing pickups,but I don't think they have ever tried anything else.If that's what they like,fine,but don't let that keep you from trying something different.Good luck.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If it's a Stingray 4 the OP has, it's already got an alnico magnet. Only SR5s and Sterlings have ceramic magnets.

11. Theres a german company that apparently make excellent stingray replacement pickups

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    If i were you i'd grab some nickel strings and a Nordstrand MM replacement. What a sound that'd be :D

13. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey,

a lot of feedback, thanks!

This instrument is a lefty SR5. I was thinking about getting the Seymour Duncan alnico with the electronics. Not sure though if it helps my problem with the lack of versatility. Does anyone have voice clips with the Seymour duncan alnico + replacement electronics?

14. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i have the Duncan Circuit and i can tell you that if you can wire it to an extent of using its full capacity, then your definitely getting lots of versatility.

I also believe the Duncan replacement pup can run in Series/Parallel/SC which is a whole lot of versatility.
    As for the Circuit: active/passive, slap contour, full 3 band control and frequency selection.
    Right on the board, there are two dials to select the mid frequency you are interested in.
    Try to wire it with more than 9Vs. it supports up to 36V which is what i am doing.

15. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Active/passive? Aren't these electronics only active, with a slap switch?

Could you post some links to sound clips? I am really curious how that thing sounds...

16. Vanni

Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Delano Pickups

17. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    eh sorry booch!

not at the moment. its sitting in a box waiting for my 6stringer till i finish it!

18. I posted a link in my next post

19. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good clip of you and your band. I like the tone of your Ray a lot. Very Cliff Williams (AC/DC) like in sound.

Still has that Stingray growl, but a more full bottom that punches.