Musicman stingray sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian12, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    How do I achieve this type of sound, or is this even possible, I just have an ibanez btb675, with a normal cab.

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    To get that sound you must buy a Music Man Stringray for many large dollars U.S.

Winton and birminghambass like this.
  3. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    Lol yeah besides that, is there a way to get a sound like that, like the resonating sound

Linnin likes this.
  4. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    That sound has pretty much everything to do with the construction of the pickup, the preamp that is designed to go with that pickup, and the pickup's placement on the body.

For those reasons, you simply can't recreate the characteristics of that sound any other way. Not with pedals, EQ settings, or amp settings.

There are several option for basses that aren't as expensive as the MM Stingray that will get you reasonably close to that sound.

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I suppose I'm less a purist than most, but I'm perfectly happy with close approximations. The tones that got me into bass were both Stingrays: Tony Levin and Patrick Dahlheimer (before he went the vintage Fender route) I've never picked up a Stingray though, because I've just not liked the ergonomics every time I've ever played one.

This is all IMO of course...
    If you want to get as close as your bass can to a Stingray tone:
    • Pickup blend about halfway to the bridge pickup (adjust to taste)
    • Boost the bass EQ, but don't go overboard and dime it.
    • If your amp has the ability:
      • cut a bit of lower midrange
      • boost a bit of upper midrange
    • Boost the treble EQ to taste.

Play around a bit from that recipe and you'll be about as close as your bass can get. It won't really sound like a 'Ray, as others have noted, but you'll be in that direction. Whether it's close enough to the real thing or not is up to your preference. ^^

denverbarnes likes this.
  6. No.

Big Pole Humbucker + Pickup positioning in the sweet spot + FET Musicman preamp = Musicman sound.

wyrmspawn, Geri O and 4StringTheorist like this.
  7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    This. As close as you can approximate-and approximate will be the key verb. I would boil down the necessities to pickup location, parallel wiring and aperture.
    The BTB's bridge PU is very different compared to a Stingray pickup-narrow aperture, closer to the bridge location, hotter winding, etc...
    I too am OK with close approximations and have an RB820 and RB920 as my "Stingrays." Even though the J6 pickup is a dual Jazz configuration, it is in the exact Stingray sweet spot and has a very similar aperture and resistance/output to a Ray's PU. It's also a passive bass, but when run in parallel mode and a little bump of lows and highs from the amp or a EQ pedal to approximate the shaping of the onboard pre of the Stingray, it's darn close. This was clearly the intention of Ibanez with the design of these basses.
    [​IMG]

denverbarnes and 4StringTheorist like this.
  8. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    FET?

9. I could be wrong but I have always been under the impression that MM preamp were FET based. Regardless they do have a sound of their own.

Field-effect transistor - Wikipedia

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'd audition a Squier Dimension Bass. They sound close and only run about $450 new. The actual cheap-o Stingray copies (SUB and Ernie Ball's 'Ray 34) just left me cold. Not even close.

11. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  12. Fets are handy when you need a very high input impedence. Preamps these days often boast a fet input stage. And even without, a lot of opamps actually have fets in them, but the 4250 isn't one of these. Besides, there's is only one opamp in the mm 2-band pre.

And this is a big part of the MM sound which seems to get overlooked. That is the way the preamp interacts directly with the pickup. Because there's no fet input, or even a second opamp as an input buffer, the treble control acts directly on the pickup. This is surely why the pickup coils were wired in parallel. To decrease its impedence relative to the pre.

As for getting the stingray vibe from another bass, well one thing you might try is finding an eq that can give you a sharp peak around 2.5 - 3Khz. That's where the resonant peak is for typical stingray pickups. And the original pre, with the treble control boosted, will give quite a peak here. That will bring out that metallic clacky sort of sound, especially if you have bright new strings.

13. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    You should have played one through a GK amp. EVERYTHING sounds better through GK amps! But you knew that already.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021