MusicMan Stingray / SWR owners a ? for you ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Oct 21, 2005.

1. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    I use EBMM Stingrays (3 band EQ) and have a SWR WP 400. There is only one input on the amp but there is a dB cut switch (-10 dB I think) instead of passive/active inputs.

I used the normal setting without the dB cut and I could barely put the gain past 12:00 because it was so hot and would distort. I then engaged the dB cut switch and was amazed how much volume was attenuated. I now have to crank up the master volume half-way to get a powerful sound, but it is much cleaner.

I was just wondering how you other guys with Stingrays or an equivelant high output preamp plug in to your amp?
  2. I plug my Sterling into the Active jack of my amp, which is -10dB I believe.

3. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I play an active jazz bass. You've got the right idea, that's why the attenuator switch is there. My old ampeg had a -10db switch, but my current Sunn head only cuts -6db. I used to use the graphic eq and turn is down there so I wouldn't constantly be peaking,but now that I'm using a wireless, I just turn down the output volume on my wireless receiver and problem solved.
  4. Go with the input pad. It makes no difference where your master volume has to be to get the desired volume, as long as you hit "loud enough" before you hit "10" on the knob. Or "11" on the knob, if you have the newer style more powerful knobs.

I end up not running my SR5 all the way up, works the same as my active Jazz bass was full blast, so it is a hot little preamp.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You shouldn't NEED to put your pre-gain past 12:00 . . . so long as you are loud enough without the pad, don't use it. If you get too distorted in any event, THEN use the pad. But don't just decide to use the pad because of a physical setting on the knob itself. I personally never put my pre-gain past 10:00, and I have no need to, without the pad engaged.
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have an SWR Bass 750. For quite a while I was running my bass through the Passive/Active input. I never was quite happy with it. I run 18v pre in all of my basses. Changing to the Active input did the trick. I never clip and my limiter almost never comes on. It was like a hamer in the head for me.