Musicman Stingray verses Sterling Ray35 Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gus Borden, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Does anyone know if the Musicman Stingray (5-string) and Sterling (By Musicman) Ray35 pickguards are the same size and specs?

Could you swap them out for each other?

Thanks! Gus

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi Gus,

According to Pat Park @ SBMM, and James Bethea at Perfect Bass, they are not interchangeable. I believe it's because of pot spacing on the different preamps.

However, my Ray35's pickguard is currently at Pickguard Heaven. They are using it as a template to make me a different one. So, you should be able to use that template to get a replacement guard made for yours.

I'm not affiliated with Pickguard Heaven, but they do make some pickguards for EBMM, so I thought they would be a good choice.

I've been working with Adrian there, just contact him through the website: http://pickguards.us/

I will be very glad to get mine back, since I'm having to use scotch tape to hold my preamp in place. :rollno:

Good Luck,

Bob

3. Bob - awesome! Thanks. Question - which Ray do you have (Honeyburst, Natural or Black)? What pickguard are you going with?

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Gus,

I've got a black and I'm getting the tiramisu (#145). I've got a natural coming in this week and my daughter wants me to get the baltic amber (#134) for that one.

I'm gonna keep the slinkys on one, and go with TI Flats on the other. Not sure which yet. It will depend on whether the rosewood or maple sounds best w/the slinkys.

Which one do you have, Gus?

Bob

5. I have the black - something about the black I really liked - not usually my thing... But I am not the biggest fan of Natural finish w/a pickguard (don't know why) and my MTD is a Tobacco Sunburst, so I wanted something a bit different.
    I am trying to choose between the Abalone Shell and the Black Pearl. I am emailing them right now - hoping they might send me a larger sample photo...

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I understand. I'm not usually a fan of black, but it does look good on SR5s and the Ray35s as well.

You can get an idea about the black pearl by going here: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray.html and highlighting "sapphire black" it's the left-most color on the second row.

The bass is black and rosewood w/black pearl.

Good luck with the decision and if I can help, don't hesitate to let me know!

Bob

7. Thanks a lot! I would love to see photos on yours when you get the p'guards in. I like the abalone because it has the blues/yellows - it's a bit striking - but I just don't want it to look cheesy either. It's a bit too much money to spend just to look cheese, you know?

So when you unscrew the pickguard, is the pickup screwed to the pickguard (like w/Fender guitars)? I gather from your earlier post, the preamp is...

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I will post pics to this thread once i receive and install the guard.

To remove the pickguard, you will need to loosen the strings and take off the following:

1. Knobs
    3. Pot washers and nuts
    3. Selector switch screws
    4. Selector switch rubber cap

You won't need to touch the pickup. The preamp is one board with the pots attached to it and the selector is separate.

Be careful of the wires on the selector switch and try not to move the selector separately from the preamp. I ended up having to resolder the yellow wire on mine.

It's not too tough.

Bob

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Got this in last week. It was honestly a slow process, but it looks great. Apparently the template person broke a tooth and has been in and out. However, the template is available.

Guards cost the same as SR5 guards.

*** Important Safety Tip ***

Buy a set of EBMM neck screws and replace the existing ones with those. It's $3.00 plus shipping and very worthwhile! This has nothing to do with pickguards but is very legitimate info. The shipping screws, especially those from the oldest SBMMs (they have "Made in Indonesia" in large print on two lines, like an EBMM) are brittle.

Bob

10. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Bob, did you break a screw on your SBMM?

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sure did bobalu, on the natural one. First time ever. But I got it fixed and have replaced all the screws on both of them.

The natural is the oldest manufacture. The black one had totally different neck screws, so apparently SBMM figured it out too.

I'll give a plug to Richard Fry a luthier here in Austin. He did a good job of getting the screw out and was very reasonable.

Both Ray35s have EBMM stainless neck screws now. :D

Bob

12. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That pickguard looks GREAT.

13. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th

Thanks Bob. That's good to know. My SB24 has the Made in Indonesia logo as you described. Nice pickguard btw!:bassist:

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Bob...That looks great I'm going to have change the pickgaurd on mine.

15. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks basswave!

Here's a recent picture. I've "merged" the two Ray35s and have ended up with a black body and maple neck, complete with tiramisu guard.

The natural one was just so heavy (12.5 lbs) even after milling...

So, it's unique, at least until SBMM starts offering them that way. I really love this bass!

Bob

16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    http://www.martybellfinishing.com/

Marty does killer refinishing work and said its easier to natural finishes if you want to refinish an instrument (makes sense)

So sometimes soon I'm going to pickup a another Ray35 in Natural and send to Marty to do in Vintage white.

So a Ray35 Vintage white, a darker tort gaurd with a maple board.
    :D I love these basses and have a Ray34 and Ray35 currently.

17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I just talked to the folks over Pickgaurd heaven and they said that they Ray35s are not all the same and they need my pickgaurd to make one for me.

I'm going with the Baltic Amber.

I thought they could use what was on file but they said no, and to send in mine...not a big deal but I was hoping they could use Bobsters file.

Just a heads up to folks.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021