Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Stingray Vs Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DenisW, Aug 26, 2005.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    Why is the Stingray more popular than the Sterling.I would think the Jazz like neck and more options with the pick-up selector switch would make it more attractive to Pros and semi-pros alike.I am interested in both Basses and have no way of trying them out.Any help would be great.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play a Sterling and agree. I like it more than a stingray in every way.

I think a lot of people see the stingray as being a classic bass and want to own that classic design. The sterling is like,more modern, since its newer and designed to be sleeker.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I own a stingray but im selling it so i can get a sterling. The stingray is probably more popular, but there are a ton of artists using sterlings these days, especially in hardcore bands.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I prefer the Sterling. Everything about it is better for me. Neck, size, weight, tonal options, looks, smell, taste... It is by far the better bass IMO.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like the idea of the coil switching on a Sterline, but can't deal with the Jazz neck; so, a regular ol' Stingray it was for me. And I tell you, of all the basses I've owned, I've never actually clapped like a school girl after playing a few riffs...well, never did before, anway.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Now imagine, Brendan, if you will, a double pickup Stingray 4 with switching capabilities..........oh baby.

[​IMG]

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Jack, to be honest, that really doesn't do anything for me. I use a biamp rig and distortion, and neck pickups just don't seem to fair as well as bridge pickups, so a neck pickup just doesn't do anything for me.

Now, a 5er with a 1.87"ish (1 and 7/8th") nut? White on rice, man.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    But....but....but it has a SWITCH!

Heh heh.

Point well made.

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually I went to a couple of shops last Friday to A/B/C a Stingray, Stingray5 and a Sterling. All the instruments were in great shape with excellent setups.

For me, I liked the feel of the Sterling neck better than the Stingray necks. It felt a little thinner from front to back and somehow just felt more comfortable and less chunky in my hands. At this point I'm pretty sure that when I can afford it, my next bass will be a Sterling.

[edit]
    Oh yeah, the Sterling has 22 frets compared to the Stingray 4's 21 frets. :)

10. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    But.. but... Seriously: The bridge PU on the 2 PU EMBB's is CLOSER to the brigde, giving it an even grittier tone. 2 PU EMBB's are wild for distortion! Just roll in a little neck PU and blast it!

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, according to EBMM, the bridge pickup is in the exact same spot on both single and dual pickup models.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the Sterling neck is 1.5" at the nut, and the Stingray's neck is 1.625". So, it's not your imagination about feeling thinner and less chunky. I prefer the chunky, wider neck, personally.

They are some fine basses, to be sure.

Oh, and due, 21 vs 22? You're a bassist, you know there's no money above the 5th fret and no gigs above the 12th.

13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    My humble opinion only: While playing a Sterling might make one feel like a bit more of a perfectionist and a musician's musician, playing a StingRay makes one feel like more of a badass.

Just a gut reaction thing.

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Oh man. I've owned three or four Sterlings and couldn't figure out why I never gigged them regularly! And there it is! I'm too bad-ass for a Sterling!

Heh heh.

Too funny. I think it was actually that the body size felt weird to me after all these years of playing Stingrays - God knows it wasn't the neck - man, those necks are FINE.

BTW, the bridge pickup on the dual pickup basses are in exactly the same spot as the one pickup basses.

Word.

15. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I think you need to change your signature line to
    I'm a semi-authorized EBMM badass!

16. i can't say that i have owned either one of these spectacular basses, but i too prefer the sterling over the 'ray.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Just pointing out all the differences I can remember. Wouldn't want someone coming down on me for not pointing out this difference.

Of course I didn't expect a smackdown for pointing out this difference. :spit: :p

18. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I've owned a couple of both. They're both great basses but there are differences. Tonally the Stingray sounds a lot more like a, well, a Stingray. Duh. ;) The Sterling gets close, very close, but to me, if you want the Stingray sound, you need a Stingray.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not to mention misspelling your correction of my misspelling...damn, these Ray's have some messed up powers to could men's minds.

20. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Fixed. :p

You're right, these EBMM's have powers beyond the ordinary.