1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman stingray vs Warwick Corvette five string models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sdagg1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    I have $2,000 to buy a new bass and have narrowed it down to these two basses. I play rock, classic rock, and funk. I have tried both four string versions and prefered the warwick neck care over the u shape stingray neck, but I love the tone of the stingray the most out of the two from all the recordings i have listened to. When I tried both basses in person I prefered the growl of the corvette, so this has left me a little confused on which to buy? I also think i will opt for a 5 string model but have not tried either version in a five string so was wondering if anyone had oppinions on which is better?

Thanks

2. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Stingray.

andruca and Afc70 like this.
  3. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Any reason why you like the stingray better? Does the B string sound better on that bass compared to the warwicks?

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I prefer Warwick, but 2k is wayyy to much to spend for a corvette. You can get a nice one used for under 1k.

5. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Sorry I should have wrote it would be a used custom shop $$ corvette vs musicman stingray. I will changr thatt

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've owned several of both, in both 4 and 5 string versions. Everytime, the StingRays crushed the Warwicks, and haven't bought another Warick since.

ogiebb, CapnSev, Afc70 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Would you recomend the single pick up or hh version?

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    on the SR5: dual pickups.

tommyr01 and osonu like this.
  9. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Well i believe you can also get the sr5 with a single pickup. I also heard that there is a sweet spot you get on the single pickup version of the stingray that you dont get with the hh versions because the placement of the pickups is different?

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That’s the Bongo. The SRs have the bridge p’up in the same place for H and HH.

Anhg77, Caca de Kick and king_biscuit like this.
  11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

The bridge pickup is the same on the Stingray H or HH. You are thinking about the Bongo where the bridge pickup is closer to the neck on the H model.

dralionux likes this.
  12. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I prefer the HH. That said, some like the series/parallel option with the H. And look at the Classics with 2-band EQ. I like 3-band, but many prefer the 2-band over the 3-band.

leamdav likes this.
  13. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Ok good to know! I have an opportunity to get a stingray 5 for $900 but im thinking i should hold out for the hh if i choose to go that direction. Would you recomend holding out for an hh?

14. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    I do like that bigger p bass type of sound and tend to blend my pickups. Parrallel basical turns the humbucker into a single coil and series is the humbucker right?

15. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Well, I prefer the HH, but I use mostly the bridge p’up alone. Really you should try to play them. I’d pick up an H for $9-hunsky.

osonu and Sdagg1 like this.
  16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Single H for me -- the simpler the better.

inthevelvet and CapnSev like this.
  17. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    I was also curious if the necks on stingrays are pretty similar or do they vary. It seems from what i read they are all very chunky. I played an old smoothy with a thick u shaped neck that was set up perfectly and the neck felt great but i played another regular stingray that felt horrible in my hands and seemed like a totally different feeling neck

18. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    He can get a used SR5 or Classic 5 for ~$1000 too.
    german $$ less than that.

The $$ gave me a taste for neck position MMs, for all you guys that worship at the alter of the P, it's the G&L with their MM like pickup in the mid position.

0 chance if the OP finds an SR5 neck chunky that he would like a Warwick.
    At that point step down to 16mm spaced basses with MM pickups....or 40DCs/Bart P2/P4 and you can get a MM like tone easily.

19. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Well like i said i would want a custom shop corvette $$ for that price. Maybe im mistaken and its just called a custom corvette. I was also looking into warwick thumbs but i think i would prefer the humbucker pickups. Does anyone have an opinion on if the thumb is a better bass than the upper range corvettes?

20. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Actually i tried the sr5 and thought it felt better. I was actually refering to the 4 string versions when i said the necks were fat. I was looking into the g and l L 2000 and liked the sound in series position but i felt it was missing compared to the warwick and mm bases