1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Stingray which year????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeri, Apr 15, 2010.

1. joeri

joeri

Mar 10, 2009
    Belgium
    Hi,

I just bought this new (second hand) Musicman Stingray.
    I want to know in which year it was made.
    serial number :E20xxx
    Can anyone help me please?

Joeri

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
  3. just email ernie ball and they will tell you;)

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  5. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can also email EB customer service with the serial number and they'll get you the info. They're really quick to respond also.

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, email them and you'll get the exact date of construction and who the dealer was who first got it.

7. Tenaciousd1983

Tenaciousd1983

Apr 15, 2014
    Hi there,

I just bought a Musicman Stingray yesterday and I also found a serial number.....but I didn´t know which original prize it was and also I don´t know the year it was made.
    Can somebody help me out?:confused:

Here´s the serial number: 33497

8. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Musicman.org has a very comprehensive list of serial numbers that will tell the month and year of manufacture as well as the original color.

I looked for that number while I was having the morning coffee and I didn't see it listed. Might it be possible that you've not gotten the number quite right (sorry to have to ask...)? Is there a letter prefix?

I found a 33479...

"E33479...09/02. Black with Black pg"

...but that's as close as I can come up with. I didn't look through all of the Sterlings, Subs, Bongos, Anniversary models, etc...

I'd take a pic of your serial number and email it to Music Man to see if they can trace it down.

Here's what my SR5 looks like in the database...

"E00040...1998. Trans Teal with Rosewood. Black pg and knobs."

I think it's pretty cool that, according to this database, mine is the second SR5 made with this series of E prefixes, unless I've missed it being used somewhere else.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The numbers on Musicmanbass.org exist because the bass owners email in their bass serial and specs. It's not a factory site, that's why you don't see every serial number listed.
    Basses made in the late 80's to mid 90's had no letter prefix, say like a 87 to 96-ish era. EBMM factory has the serials of eveything they made, but the serials from the preEB era records don't exist, that's why Musicmanbass.org is an awesome site.

10. As stated higher up the thread email Ernie Ball and they will tell you. Not all serial numbers are consecutive but I have a Stingray with a serial number 36xxx which was made in spring 1993, so I'm guessing yours will be just before then.

+1 on musicman.org - great resource and run by a great guy as well.