Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Stingray worth the price? need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    I am really wanting to get a musicman stingray, but I dont no if it is actually werth its price, I am into playing Funk mainly, Brothers johnson, Sly and the family stone, lakeside, chili peppers aswell as other kinds. so can someone who has played this bass or has got one tell me if it truely is good for funk and slap pop, and generally just a good bass??

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...march out and get one. The 'Ray is the only kind of bass I've ever owned (both pre- and post-Ernie Ball), and I've never regretted it for one second.

The only regret I have is selling my first one (a 1980).

3. From my experience, I have to say a resounding YES. It's great for funk, slapping, popping...and a lot more! Check out one locally, if you can. While I did get my bass used (in a trade), I would certainly say it's worth the full price new, though you can often get great deals if you go used. Just shop around and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I just start to love Music Man StingRays,they are beautiful instruments and they sound hot :bassist:

5. Yes, Yes and Yes.
    Great basses, great QC.
    If you're concered about the price then get a nice used one.
    Hey, I own three. :)
    That is an order!

6. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Compare it to other basses in the $1000 price range. They seem a little spendy but you get what you pay for.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

It really is that simple.

8. Their quality is about the best around! How many other basses can you take something as simple as a nail and adjust the neck? It is almost effortless.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I agree.

10. If you're into funk, it is a great bass that you can't go wrong with. But while you're shopping around, try out a Fender USA Dlx Jazz...in the same price range and a great growly slapper as well. Both would work awesome for funk.

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I have a '79 pre-EB Ray and a newer Bongo. Both are just great basses. My '79 Ray is much more classic sounding, the Bongo .. well, it's just incredible, particularly for the money. For the kind of music you're playing, you can't really go wrong with either. I find them both to be particularly suited to funk and slapping/popping. The Bongo is one of the easiest playing, most facile basses I've owned in damn near 30 years of playing the instrument. If you want my opinion, go for a Bongo (if you can get over the looks, that is). It is well worth it. A Stingray is great too, but if I had to choose between a new Stingray and a Bongo, the Bongo would win hands down. Now, my '79 ... well, I'd have to take that over the Bongo ... it's a classic, what can I say ...! :smug:

12. The Ray is a great choice, definitely worth the money if it offers what you're looking for. There are tons of great basses in that price range... most are worth the cash, all quality basses (as bassist66 said, the American Deluxe Fenders are awesome, as are Laklands, Spectors, etc). Basically Stingrays play quite well, have a great growly tone and are built like tanks. See if it feels good for you and whether or not you'd pay the money for it.

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i was actually at a bass/guitar sale today and i played just about all the brands they had, including warwick, spectors, modulus, line6, fenders and musicman . verdict? playability and just raw sounding windowshaking tone, the 5 string HH bongo, closely followed by the 4 string 'ray. simply heads and shoulders above everything else i played. lovely necks, wide finger spacing, the bongo had an infinite amount of tones, the 4 band eq was simply stunning... they are definately worth the money... especially used.

14. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I`ve never regretted my mm. If you get one second hand, you really get more than you pay for.

15. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Kool thx for everyones advice, i'll try one out then decide wheather to get one second hand or new, Now i reaallly want one!! lol

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try and check out a Musicman Sterling as well. IMO its more comfortable than a stingray.

17. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    GC was blowing them out a while ago- if you look around, you might be able to get a great deal on a new one (i've seen them new for as low as $719- and yes, it was a Sting Ray and not a SUB). and a resounding YES!!! to if they are worth the $$$ - I am constantly amazed at the sound (excellent), feel (like buttah'!) and sheer quality (outstanding for a mass production instrument) of mine. I cannot recommend them enough. :bassist:

18. Where can you find a brand new Stingray (not a SUB) for $719? I've never heard of that before... They usually go for more than that used.

Chris

19. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the arlington heights illinois gc had one, a 4 string, pearl grey, black pickguard, rosewood board, natural headstock, for $719 (no case). they had one of those limited edition copper ones for $749. this was a few weeks ago but i would imagine they've still got a few. i bought my black/black/rosewood for $819 about 2 months ago. and yes, these were all brand new. and a good deal was had by all (well, at least me :smug: ) there were several threads on here before about gc blowing out "older colors" of musicman instruments (stingrays, sterlings and bongos- oh my!) :bassist:

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Flea from RHCP used a Stingray 4 for a long time.