Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Stingray??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DutchBass, Jun 28, 2002.

1. DutchBass

DutchBass

Jun 28, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Hey I've been browsing this forum for several weeks now and its addicting hehe. I already read huge amounts of interesting stuff here so i decided to open an account :D

I've got an question, I play in a metal/hardcore band and a punk band and i'm thinking about buying a new bass with a more fitting sound.
    I was thinking about purchasing an musicman stingray 4-string. Any one you guys think thats a nice pick for this kind of music or do you have some other good tips?

Ps: Can anyone post a link to a clear musicman stingray sound sample so i can check out the sound again? tnx...

2. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    If you're thinking about buying a StingRay look at its sister bass the Sterling as well. There are plenty of players using MM basses these days - Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith quite often uses a StingRay. Good luck!

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Musicman basses are great instruments.. I love mine :). but don't get one because you hear they are good.. you should buy a bass because it sounds and feels good to you...

4. DutchBass

DutchBass

Jun 28, 2002
    The Netherlands
    tnx for the tips guys!, Yeah i know and i aint gonna buy one until i played on one. But thats why im asking if some of you guys has a couple of samples cause where i live we don't have any stores that carry them or ill have to drive like verrrrrrrrrry far:p

5. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    If you go my bands website (listed below my name) and go to the downloads page, there is a Realplayer clip with one of our songs on it. The quality is poor (it is Realplayer after all!) but its my StingRay5 going straight into the desk with mild compression. Not sure if this will help in your quest! :(

6. DutchBass

DutchBass

Jun 28, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Well indeed i didnt really get a clear hearing of that bass sound.

But i really liked that song ! :)

7. Stuff where you can hear a Ray....

Try some Red Hot Chili Peppers a couple of albums back...particularly "Mother's Milk", I like that one a lot.

The first Rage Against the Machine album is outstanding, and you can really hear the bass well in most cases (I'm 99% sure that's a StingRay).

"Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen...100% StingRay.

I'm a new StingRay owner myself, and the StingRay tone is really working for me. Bass has taken me in a funkier direction lately, and the StingRay excels at that style.

Honestly, for punk and metal stuff, I think a Fender Precision is hard to beat, but the above bands I mentioned show you how a Ray can sound in harder edged music.

8. DutchBass

DutchBass

Jun 28, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Hey tnx slaphappy!, I own that rage against the machine album and i never knew that was a stringray. But i liiiiiike that sound!! :eek: