musicman stingray???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman454, Jul 15, 2002.

1. i was just wondering about the model's of stingrays,
    is there much difference in the different year model's?? or is a stingray a stingray besides the different 2-band, 3-band and 4-band eq model's?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    There's two main types; EB and pre-EB. The latter refers to the original company run by Fender/Fullerton and others. EB stands for Ernie Ball.

Of the EB basses the early ones had a fairly thick gloss lacquer on the neck. Around 96 they went to a wax like finish on the neck which feels subjectively gorgeous but but picks up grime and dings. The current ones have a semi lacqer or satin feel to them.

Re two and three band, the three band eq was introduced by Ernie Ball. Re four band, never heard of it unless you are referring to the extra knob on some basses that is for the piezo pickup that was recently introduced.

Hope this helps.

EDIT stain changed to satin-d*mn disloxia
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Chris nailed it but let me just add that EB added the three band EQ and still offers the two band while I believe the Pre-EB's were two band only.
  4. thanks for the replies
    well here is a 4 band stingray...its on ebay

Sound: Has 4 high/low/mid range knobs, with the 4th knob being the active pick-up knob, giving it a deeper, richer sound. Sounds perfect!

i would post a pic but i don't know how
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I can only think that it is a piezo, and he doesn't know it. If his reserve is under a grand it's a good deal.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget the earlier ones has mutes!
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeas that has the piezo pickups in it..
    The stingray is a saweet bass.. and if you can grab it for around $800, i think that would be a good deal.. If you don't really want the piezo bridge.. you can get a used ray for about $700.
  8. Wicca

Oct 13, 2001
    ("There's two main types; EB and pre-EB. The latter refers to the original company run by Fender/Fullerton and others. EB stands for Ernie Ball.")

Actually Pre-EB or the company called MusicMan was never run or owned by Fender or Fullerton. Leo owned a company called CLF Research which built guitars and basses for MusicMan. MusicMan was known for making amps. As time went on they wanted to purchase CLF Research but Leo wouldn't sell so they started ordering less and less insturments thinking they would force him to sell. Well it backfired on them as George and Leo started making their own guitars and basses, known as G&L. Ernie Ball later purchased what was left of MusicMan.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there must be tons of stuff on a stingray if you do a search

11. so bassicly a stingray is a stingray?? like they are all good basses, no matter what year or what option eq and pick up?
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I knew that there was some political intrigue but not what it was. Thanks for clearing it up.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Regardless of year or options you are getting a ash or alder (maybe poplar) bodied maple neck instrument with a mega pickup and an in your face sound. Opinion will always be divided on pre or post EB but I personally have not played a bad Stingray Sterling Sabre or Cutlass. I own a Stingray 5 and am therefore extremely biased.
  14. thanks for your replies, i have made my mind up...that one day i will own a musicman stingray.
    thats after i finish off my bass rig, and as i allready have an ibanez atk305 its not really urgent that i get a stingray.