1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusicMan Stingrays...Normal or Slo neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshXR, Aug 8, 2012.

1. JoshXR

JoshXR

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    Hey all,

I am in the market to buy a 4 HH stingray (or a Rickenbacker 4003, still on the fence betwen the two), and I see that there are a couple different necks. I live in Montana, and the only MusicMan dealer in the state doesn't even have any stock, so I am not able to play before I purchase.

So I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on the difference between the necks? Would be much appreciate

Cheers!:bassist:

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    SLO is a Sterling neck on a Stingray body.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'm glad you explained that. I hear so much talk of fast necks so wondered why anyone would actively promote a neck as 'slo'!

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Well SLO stands for San Luis Obispo, which happens to be the town where EBMM makes their instruments. Look on the back of any EBMM, and it'll have the "Made In San Luis Obispo" tag, or however it's written out. (AFAIK)

Also the Stingray body/Sterling neck bass is called the SLO Special. Nothing slow about it!

5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    No, given that most people would refer to the narrower necks as 'fast'! My bass education continues...

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I prefer the bigger Stingray necks .

7. JoshXR

JoshXR

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    So the SLO special is a thinner/smaller neck?

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, the SLO models have a Jazz Bass neck. 1.5" at the nut, as opposed to the 1.625" at the nut for regular Rays.

Neither is what I would call "fat", though.

9. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey dude,
    I'm considering selling my Stingray HH, pictured in my avatar. Not 100% sure I want to yet, but let me know if your interested.