1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MusicMan Stringray 4H Dargie Delight - Feedback?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by igeek, Oct 19, 2010.

1. igeek

igeek

Jul 12, 2009
    Hey Everyone,

Im looking at a MusicMan Stringray 4H Dargie Delight which is one of the first 24 basses today thats for sale in my area. It seems like a decent deal for a rare bass thats mint.

I'm just curious what everyone thinks of these basses compared to the HH, Bongo, stingray and other versions of the music man basses. Are these basses just overpriced or is it me??

Thanks!

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's a MusicMan. It's a Dargie Delight (which don't come up pretty often). There's nothing bad to say about these basses. I'd jump on it.

I have a Dargie HS Bongo and it's amazing. The StingRays are just as amazing.

They are not overpriced. They're limited editions. They may be a bit more expensive than normal production StingRays, but there aren't that many of them out there. EBMM says that color will never be used again, so that's why they are priced high.

If you have the money, go for it. They look cool, sound great, don't look like every other StingRay out there and they may even incresae in value over time.

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I thought the only differences with the Dargies are the color and possibly the inlays on the FB.
    I thought they used stock MM electronics and hardware so I would think it would sound exactly like the non-Dargie version of whatever you're buying.

4. igeek

igeek

Jul 12, 2009
    thanks guys. this person wants 1300 for this bass and its in mint condition

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The entire Dargie Delight run was available for a total of 11 business days (10 in the original offering in July 06 and 24 hours during Ernie Ball's birthday one month later).

277 instruments (guitars and basses) were made of which 25 were SR4s so the bass you are looking at is a pretty rare bird.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    This. If you the colour and fretboard inlays are worth a few hundred dollars more and you like the remaining features of a standard Stingray, go for it.

7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I say go for it! Great bass to have with a very limited finish.

8. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm in love with the Dargie look (those martini inlays, how strangely refined!), so if I were you I'd snatch it up in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I ordered one of the original ones (I sold it long ago):

IMG_0407.jpg

Fantastic color -much better than the later Dargies, IMO.

10. igeek

igeek

Jul 12, 2009
    that is a nice looking bass.. why did you sell it?
    how much did you sell it for.. is that an HH model??

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A 1st series DD StingRay 4 string on Ebay about two weeks ago sold for 1500, so I'd say the price is good.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sold it many years ago -- had to choose between it and a Sadowsky Metro UV70. I preferred the Sadowsky tone and feel (wider string spacing at bridge on the Sad).

I think I sold mine for $1500, but that was several years ago when the market was better. It was mint.

Great bass. I would have loved to have kept it.