1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman style pickup... how is it mounted?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Korladis, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

So, I'm planning further butchery to my Peavey. What I intend this time is routing out a bridge pickup position (it was originally a P-bass configuration) and sticking a musicman style humbucker in there.

Except, unlike my previous pickup mod, it's not immediately obvious to me how exactly this type of pickup is actually attached to the body of the bass.

Anybody have instructions? Preferably with pictures?

2. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MM pickups are mounted just the same as P & J bass pickups are mounted; using screws through the plastic "eyelets" to anchor the pickup into the wood with springs, foam or rubber tubing between the pickup and the wood to support the pickup and adjust height.

3. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yes, I know what they look like, I just wasn't sure what they were attached to. I took the P pickups out of my Peavey quite a while ago and couldn't remember if they were attached to the wood or to the pickguard, and wasn't sure if MM pickups were usually attached to the pickguard or not.

So for mounting the MM pickup, I just drill three holes in the wood where the adjustment screws will go? After routing, I mean.

4. The rubber tubing does not work on bass pickups, it serves only to prevent vibration.

Without proper support under the pickup, the coil would fall out of the cover with only rubber tubing.

5. Good point, I didn't think about the coil falling out...but it works on some bass pickups, as long as they're sealed. My Delanos, Bartolinis and EMGs are installed with tubing.

6. For pickups with easily removable, non-epoxy potted covers, the coil just falls out.:hyper:

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Unless your pickups are epoxy potted.

:bassist:

I use the rubber tubing on my basses with EMGs.

8. Well technically I said "...springs, foam or rubber tubing..."

Hell, if you're going to get super specific I can too! :spit: