Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sub 4 is tinny?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Last night at a gig, I decided to try someone's MMS4 on a whim. I found it to be most fun bass I've ever played.. that is, in terms of playability. However, it had a certain tinny tone to it that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Mind you, I didn't have that much time to mess with my eq. Oh, and I play with a YBA200 and matching cab.

How would I get rid of that really bright sound? Flat wounds? EQing? I'm interested in getting one, but not if I can't fix that sound.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The SUB is going to have that Music Man sort of high-end ping. You can dial down the treble and boost the bass. Your amp is also crucial, you need one with good mids and bottom. Just listen to recordings by Tony Levin if you want to get an idea of how to make any sort of Music Man bass sound more mellow.

3. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks! Any more suggestions? Also, do the high end Musicmans (Musicmen?) play the same way?

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The more high end MMs have more tonal control. That was a problem with my SUB, is that even with the treble down, the volume was tinny.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My musicman sterling plays amazingly and sounds great too, so if youre wondering if all musicman basses play well, yes they do.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Works for me.

I was just comparing my X01 (passive S.U.B. four-string) with my Precisions.

It has a little more output than any of the Precisions and with 9050s sounds very similar to the Precisions with 9050s, slightly more high-mid. No tinny sound at all.

Big flatwounds seem to be the Great Leveler. :D

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    flats = Another One Bites The Dust.

I think...

9. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Flatwounds on MusicMans may kill the neck (shoot, they curved my 62 P Reissue before my adjustment!). So Some Fender Black Nylon Tapewounds did the trick for me, just as it did my Jazz. Best sounds on both you can ever have. Peace.

Kept the Flats on the P, though.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nah, the Fender RIs can sometimes have neck problems. My RI Jazz is a bit picky about temp/humidity changes and string tension, but MM basses are generally not like that.

Also depends on which flats you're using. The Fenders and Rotos can be extremely high tension. The Thomastik Infelds are much lower tension. And the Labella Deep Talking Flats are right down the middle.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yes, there's nothing to worry about with the heaviest flats available (9050Ms) on a S.U.B. The graphite-reinforced neck is massive, as is the trussrod.

Likewise on any modern US Precision I've encountered.

On...say... a Geddy Lee, though? Forget it.

12. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Music Man Necks are not Graphite reinforced :) .

13. cmaster7

cmaster7

Mar 16, 2005
    N.I
    I played one in a music shop and it played great, I was thinking of getting one as my next bass.

I quite like the tinny sound on them, it suits my style

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Interesting, as I've read here and elsewhere that they were.

Of course the site gives almost no information about the basses, so... :meh:

15. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Yeah they dont have reinforced necks. I was gonna try to link you to some threads on the Eb website where this has been discussed before but its running VERY slow at the moment.

16. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
  17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Thanks!

I'm always pleased to find authoratative sources for gear info, and hard data on EBMM has been difficult to secure.

18. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Keep in mind that the active SUB4 has the same pickup and preamp as a 2-band Stingray.

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    SUBs are not made of tin.