Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman sub bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dixlectic, Feb 8, 2006.

1. dixlectic

dixlectic

Feb 8, 2006
    Hello,
    after much trawling of forums I am unable to find a solution to my problem so thought I should post.
    I just bought a 2nd hand musicman sub. It is very nice, plays nice and fast and overall has an awesome sound.
    However I have a few problems, which although I've been playing for a few years now I can't seem to iron out on my own.

1 - the A string rattle - a lot above the 12th fret, but also a little bit everywhere (apart from open). I can't work out where this rattle is coming from, but it seems to be the frets

2 - the G string is vibrating against the bridge a bit

Also if anyone knows what gauge strings SUB's are shipped with as standard, that would be lovely. I tried changing the 0.4's that were on it for 0.45's, but it made no difference and to be honest I prefer the 0.4's now after years of playing 0.45's. I've heard some people say you get better tone off the thicker strings but I think thinner ones sound nicer.

I wish I could sort these problems out because otherwise it is a really really nice bass.

Thanks
    Nick

2. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    Here ya go.

"Q: Can you please tell me what type of strings are put on Music Man basses when they ship new from the factory?

A: The 4-string basses are all equipped with Ernie Ball Super Slinky Bass strings, item number 2834, when they leave the factory. The gauges are 45-65-80-100.

The StingRay 5 and Bongo 5 use the same with an added 130. This set is our Regular Slinky Bass 5's, item #2836."

- http://www.ernieball.com/site/faq_bass.php