1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

musicman "SUB" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D Rokk, Mar 20, 2009.

1. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    okay, i went down to one of my many local music stores today. played a beautiful "used" music man sub bass.. i put used in quotes because they could have passed this thing off as new it was in that good of shape..

price tag 599.00

seems reasonable..

so on to my question.. what is the difference between the sub bass and the stingray? i'm sorry if this has been answered a thousand times if you want just point me in the right direction..

thanx for ur time..

2. The impression I got from the Sub's were that the electronics were the same as bona fide Stingrays, and that it was mostly cosmetics changed! Either way if you like what you see, definitely go for it.

3. Painted neck, no contours, thick finish and funky pickguard.

They have their differences (mainly cosmetic) but I have played a Sub before and thought it was great.

That price seems kinda high for a used Sub in the current market.

4. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    hey! harrisburg... yeah it was down at triple r..

5. I think the SUB bass is marvellous. I will never part with mine. I had a Stingray at the same time as my SUB. The Stingray has gone but the SUB stays. For me there is just something about the SUB that the Stingray doesn't have. If you want one don't hesitate. Stingrays are always going to be available whereas the SUB bass in time is going to get more difficult to get a hold of. Grab it while you can!

6. I did not see that you were from Enola. The last few on ebay have sold for well under $500. If you can talk them down $50 and get them to throw in a new set of strings, strap or something like that.

I have not seen that Sub in there but if it was traded in by someone that got it locally then there is a good chance it came from Mike's Music originally which is where I played one. At the time he only had two one black and one blue.

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    hey, thanx.. they got a six string bass in yesterday, i just had to play it.. i never have before.. forget the brand name of the bass but it had some seymour duncan bassline pickups in it.. sounded pretty good.. too much bass for my liking tho.

8. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Doesn't feel the same, and the construction and materials are at about an 8/10 whereas a Stingray is a 10/10.

Plus it's too heavy. Cramps my shoulder.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have both a vintage pre-ernie ball Stingray and a 5 string SUB. Love 'em both. The SUB sounds identical to the Stingray so you're not sacrificing anything in in the way of tone on the lower cost SUB. My 5 string SUB weighs less than my 4 string Stingray (which is a good thing I think) and the SUB has a rock hard finish on it (which is great for gigging). Both basses have about the same build quality as well. On the down side the SUB has a cheezy looking pickguard (which I think can be replaced by a standard Stingray pickguard) and the SUB finish is a "crinkle" type satin finish vs high gloss like the Stingray. All things considered, if I were buying to impress others I'd get the Stingray, however if I were buying it to gig with I'd get the SUB and put a new pickguard on it.
    A used SUB in mint condition shouldn't cost much more than $500 which is probably half the price of a nice used Stingray. Ipaid $500 for my used SUB a year ago and it's a 5 string active (I think they also come in passive). For the price the seller is asking maybe they'd be willing to throw in a pickguard or straplocks or a strap or a case to sweeten the deal, otherwise I'd offer $500 and settle for $550 max on a mint active 4 string and a little less on a mint passive 4 string.
    Good luck on your purchase, the SUB's are getting harder to find but well worth the wait.
    By the way I put DR Black Beauties on mine and it ROCKS!:bassist: