1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sub bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 9, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Has anyone tried or seen (In person) one of these new basses? I like the Teal finish one with black headstock and Active 2 Band EQ circuit!!!!! I know the body is popular, but how close does the sound come to a Standard Stingray 2 band? Any idea of the price of one of these in the UK?

2. I haven't seen one but my understanding is that the bodies are less contoured than a normal stingray. The two band eq model is supposed to be about £725 in the UK. Thats the information i got from a Guitar magazine reporting on the NAMM show. I think it said the passive version is about £650. They also come with the slightly more metal styled checker plate scrathplates.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I checked these out on EBs website, what are they? I noticed the black headstock overlay and the different pickguard, as well as the downgraded electronics.... so whats the point/and or niche of these basses? A USA made cheaper Stingray kinda like the Fender Highway 1 Series?

:confused:

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    There has been many discussions RE poplar. Musicman have used poplar and state that it's similar to ash. I asked Ken Smith KSB what he thought and he 'said' that it's a paintgrade wood similar to alder. People think that poplar is a cheap wood because Fender used it for the Mims. The Zon hyperbass has a poplar core and Parker make a poplar Fly.

Nope I havent heard one and at that price I want a black one to go with my Ray 5.