Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sub bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 9, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Has anyone tried or seen (In person) one of these new basses? I like the Teal finish one with black headstock and Active 2 Band EQ circuit!!!!! I know the body is popular, but how close does the sound come to a Standard Stingray 2 band? Any idea of the price of one of these in the UK?

2. I haven't seen one but my understanding is that the bodies are less contoured than a normal stingray. The two band eq model is supposed to be about £725 in the UK. Thats the information i got from a Guitar magazine reporting on the NAMM show. I think it said the passive version is about £650. They also come with the slightly more metal styled checker plate scrathplates.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I checked these out on EBs website, what are they? I noticed the black headstock overlay and the different pickguard, as well as the downgraded electronics.... so whats the point/and or niche of these basses? A USA made cheaper Stingray kinda like the Fender Highway 1 Series?

:confused:

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    There has been many discussions RE poplar. Musicman have used poplar and state that it's similar to ash. I asked Ken Smith KSB what he thought and he 'said' that it's a paintgrade wood similar to alder. People think that poplar is a cheap wood because Fender used it for the Mims. The Zon hyperbass has a poplar core and Parker make a poplar Fly.

Nope I havent heard one and at that price I want a black one to go with my Ray 5.