Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman SUB - my humble opinionage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xparis001, Jun 19, 2003.

1. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    hi everyone,

I just played a musicman SUB. now, i can say, I've owned one of just about every musicman bass out there (with the exception of the graphite ones. Ive had a sabre, stingray, sterling, stingray 5, yet I can't believe it, but I find myself saying this: The SUB is my favorite. I dont know what it is. maybe its the passive electronics that encourage me to "dig in" a little deeper. Maybe its the neck finish. maybe its the tone of the poplar (please god no!) bu whatever it is, the SUB I played at GC blew me away. It was much more fun to play than both the sterling and stingray I A/B'ed it against. It seemed like a bargain, even if guitar center was charging FULL $%)$ LIST PRICE for the damn thing! call me crazy, but only a fool pays manufacturers list for something. anyone know where you can find one of these on the cheap?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    "anyone know where you can find one of these on the cheap?"

Gard and Beaver at Bass Central sold me fretted and fretless Stingray 5's and gave me wonderful prices. They also stock more MM basses than any other dealer.

Chuck

3. What's the difference between this model and the Stingray?

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its really is a nice bass. The mid-lows don't cut like a Stingray and its not as punchy, but its definetely worth the money. I'd get one. I hate the fact there are no contours. You should check out Bass Central. Beaver is one awesome guy. He's willing to help me so much getting my new GK head. Someday I'll get it. And I'l get my Ernie Ball from them too.

The only difference between the SUB and Stingray is the textured finish, no contours, finished neck, active or passive 2 band eq. Thats it. Besides that their the same.

~Patrick

5. I played one of these basses today too...

and personally,I hated it.

I think the 'Ray is decent...but this is like the squier of it...I didn't like the feel,nothing..
    *shrug*

IMO of course:)

:oops:

6. That sounds like the difference between a mercedes and a mazda to me.... :D. Nah im just kidding. But that is a rather big difference. No?

7. Except Squire is made in Indonesia. Where was this made? Oh yeah, California.

8. I played one, & I'd dig the S.U.B. if they made a wide space 5.

Cha Ching!!

:cool:

9. I played one, and thought it was alright. Definately like my stingray better, but it was still nice. The one in the store was set up perfect, and it played really nice. Not sure if I like painted necks though. Overall, great bass for the money!

jtbp

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like the Idea and I played one out at GC last weekend, but for 700 buck's I think if I look around hard enough I can get a decent used real Stingray for that money.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually olp is the squire of eb..
    now they are probaly the highway series basses...

steve

12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I tried one last night at our GC and liked it, although it felt a little loose to me. Thinking about it, it is a great price for a made in USA bass.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's with the painted neck?

At the EB site it mentions the body is poplar but omits any mention of neck woods. Seems to me there's no need to cover up a nice slab of maple...but maybe it is NOT maple!:eek:

If not, then what?:confused:

14. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    The best price for passive Electronic is at www.riksmusic.com $550. For active preamp add $50.

15. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    SAM ASH 629.00$ W/ SOFT CASE:bassist:

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I tried one the other day at GC in Marietta (I call it Scary-etta)... And I really thought that the OLP 4 sounded better (to me) than the 4-string S.U.B. And a better deal.

The body was different the tone was real thin and It felt cheaper than the price tag that the OLP's go for... I guess that is humble opinionage...

17. OLP was no where close to this IMO. Almost all the OLPs I have tried have a really thin sounding tone that leaves a lot to be desired compared to the fuller and brighter sound that a Stingray offers. This is only a slighty worse sound then a SR, and certainly worth it IMO.

Sure, if you can find a SR in good condition for UNDER $600 (Good luck...) then go for it, but for $600, this is an excellent bass and it certainly does a good job of giving you the SR sound without the SR price.

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Look I wasn't ranking on the Sub at all, I played one, It was ok in my opinion but just ok.
    I didn't say under 600 I said around 700 if you read my post correctly.
    I bought a early 90's EB music man Stingray Beautiful sunburst with rosewood board a little over a year ago at my local Daddy's junky music for 729.99 with gigbag in vg to mint condition, and Zoomboy was with me when I bought it so he can vouch.
    I sold it on ebay for 750 bucks to buy my 79 Pre EB Stingray for a 1000 bucks a few months later.
    All I was saying is there are deals out there to be had if you have the patience to seek them, they are out there if you wanted the real deal, Just letting you know there are other options.
    I myself would want the real deal but that's me and it's one mans opinion.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I was commenting between the S.U.B. and the OLP, the SR-4's and SR-5's are amazing and have set a standard... I will not knock them at all.

OLP, yeah they aint no SR, but the S.U.B. wasn't really worth the nearly $700 IMO. For $179 you can pick up a OLP... make it into a piccolo or tenor-bass just for fun, or have a back-up for the budget-conscience gigg'r.

I remember the first time I saw Jay Turser's SR-copy at Cambridge Music in Porter Sq.... It was horrible and I was worried, the OLP is at least better than that.

Funkster, the Daddy's Junky that you were talking about, is that the one on Mass Ave, near the 'beach'?