1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman SUB opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philiprst, Apr 18, 2005.

1. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I dropped by my local GC yesterday and, as was mentioned in another thread, they had their Musicmans on clearance. What caught my attention were a SUB 4 and SUB 5 for $390 and $420 respectively. Over the years I have owned and sold a couple of Stringray 4s which I used as my main basses. I always loved them but found they were one trick ponies so I ended up with more versatile basses albeit without the classic SR tone. So... my question is... how are the SUBs? It occured to me that, for $400 one might make a nice backup bass.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Active or passive? The active ones to me are great basses (what GC is this? I may have to drop by) and the passive ones are fairly blah IMO. I could never justify spending $700 on one new as I spent $700 on my Stingray used with a case. But for $400, I may just get off my rocker.

It's a great bass for the money, solid build, and if you can get over the wacky finish and slab body, you're set with a good bass.