Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman SUB opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philiprst, Apr 18, 2005.

1. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I dropped by my local GC yesterday and, as was mentioned in another thread, they had their Musicmans on clearance. What caught my attention were a SUB 4 and SUB 5 for $390 and $420 respectively. Over the years I have owned and sold a couple of Stringray 4s which I used as my main basses. I always loved them but found they were one trick ponies so I ended up with more versatile basses albeit without the classic SR tone. So... my question is... how are the SUBs? It occured to me that, for $400 one might make a nice backup bass.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Active or passive? The active ones to me are great basses (what GC is this? I may have to drop by) and the passive ones are fairly blah IMO. I could never justify spending $700 on one new as I spent $700 on my Stingray used with a case. But for $400, I may just get off my rocker.

It's a great bass for the money, solid build, and if you can get over the wacky finish and slab body, you're set with a good bass.