Musicman SUB/Stingray and flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Dec 13, 2005.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    hey all... i'm a recent musicman convert and have been experimenting with strings on this fella, and i've found half-rounds (ghs progressives) to have really hit the nail on the head by bringing out a bit more punch and toning down the trebly nature of the bass. who else here is a stingray/sub player who goes for flats on their mm's, and have you found this to be a good sound for your purposes?
  2. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I haven't tried flats or half-rounds as you did, but I just recently strung mine with Dean Markley Blue Steel and I like the tone a lot better than the Slinkies I was using before. The sound seems much "richer" and knocked off some of that treble you mention.
  3. I use nickel DR Lo-Riders on my 92' MM Stingray with rosewood fb. I have not tried any half rounds.
    I cannot stand the feel and tension of flatwounds on electric and I play upright! EB Slinkies were alwyas decent, cheaper strings. I tried Sadowsky, La Bella, and Fender flats and just don't care for any kind. D'addario XLs sounded and felt good too.

I have been battling against the trebly, bright nature of my bass since 92' and it is a shame because they are so well made, durable, and I love all the neck room. I would change basses in the drop of a hat if I found one that was as versatile and durable. I can play the MM really aggressive but it just does not have the great sustained, throaty growl that I hear in others peoples gear and never mine. I do alot of rockabilly type slapping on mine and have found no other bass to work as well. Lo pickup noise, clicks, and such.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I echo that... I'm a DB'er as well, but can't stand the feel of true flats on an electric bass. They're too tight feeling. I've been using these Pressurewounds for years and love them. Just the right balance of roundwound punch and sustain without too much treble. They also are super easy on frets and fingerboards.

I had issues with my MM for a bit when I first got it. It just didn't have the punch and presence that, let's say, my Jazz Deluxe Active 5 has. After I raised the action and readjusted the pickup though, it came to life. I love it even more than the jazz in some ways now.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Flats sound excellent on Stingrays. If I had two, I'd keep a set of rounds on one and flats on the other, but at the moment I do require the roundwound sound.
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Flats sound astonishingly good on a 'ray.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play a sterling which can be said to be even brighter than a stngray, and i use DR Lo RIders, stainles steel. I dont get rid of any of the bright nature of my bass, it has a maple fb as well. I Love the brightness :)