1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

musicman SUB vs. fender deluxe p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doobeye, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Musicman SUB

45 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Fender deluxe p-bass

63 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    As the subject states, I am in a position where i have been offered a perfect condition fender deluxe p-bass for my Musicman SUB. The fender has a jazz neck and precision body. It has both jazz and precision active pickups. Its black with a gold pick guard and a maple neck. is this a fair trade, so far from all the research i've done it seems like a no brainer to go for the deluxe but I'm not sure and I don't think it could hurt asking my fellow trusty talkbass know it all's out there!

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Chris

2. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I'd go for the P personally.

Is this an MIA P or not?

3. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    do it!

4. barboom

barboom

Sep 23, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    Do it! Jazz necks are so glorious!

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Are you disatisfied with SUB's tone? If you are then swap it out, if not the P deluxe won't do "that" sound.

6. from the description, it sounds like the MIM one. i tried one out, it sounds good, very nice neck. it's on my gas list.

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    trading apples for oranges

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'd agree that your reason for trading is key. Is there something the SUB isn't doing for you? Feel? Flexibility? Tone? You simply WANT a change just for the sake of change and trying something new (a perfectly valid reason)?

If so, then it might be a worthwhile trade. I don't play 4's but I really like the MIM Precision Deluxe a lot. I wish they offered it in a 5 string. However, if you really like what the SUB is giving you then, even though it's a really nice bass, maybe it's not such a great trade for you.

But likes others said I'd focus what the SUB is giving you and what it's not. Better to run TO something than to run AWAY from something. Otherwise the odds of regretting this particular trade go up.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that.

10. I agree. It's like someone offering an MIA P Bass Deluxe for your Stingray. Two completely different breeds.

I have owned 2 of the older passive P Deluxes and I really like them.

I had a white, 2002 MIM one that I sold last year. Missed it so much I bought another 2002 MIM, 'burst, off Fleabay. I'm hanging onto it this time!

I have no experience with the SUB.

11. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    SUBS are great, not that the p isnt but id just prefer the sub, kinda different basses to eb comparing.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I would take the trade for the following reasons:

1. IMO/IME the P offers more versatility due to the 3 band eq compared to the 2 band the SUB has.

2. I also prefer the tone of alder/ash over that of poplar body bass guitars.

3. Quality reasons

But as stated, think about the reasons you are wanting to swap. If you think the Fender sounds and plays better than your SUB then take the trade. The Fender will hold its value better than the SUB so if you wind up not liking the Fender after the honeymoon phase is over then you can always sell it and buy yourself a pretty decent new or used bass from the coin you'd get from the Fender.

13. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    Bottom line, if you dig your SUB, don't trade. IMHO, Fender's are like opinions and a-holes - everybody's got one. When you get inspired to want one, go get one, there's no shortage. Common to the point of boring. SUB's are rare and unique, excellent quality and very usable instruments. Other than the finish (which you may happen to like), my experience is the quality is as good as any Fender - and better than most of 'em. But, if you like the Fender better, ok - do it...

I don't agree that the Fender will hold it's value better in the long term. If the market for Fender's isn't saturated, it should be, and will be. There's a small number of SUB's - they're good enough to be cult classics and will appreciate.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Uh...

1) Like it or not, Fenders just hold their damn value - and increase. It's not rational, but I just don't see it ending any time soon.

2) Wasn't the SUB the "poor man's Stingray?" The folks at EB aren't dumb - they discontinued it for a reason, right?

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1 to that.
    I have a SUB 5 active and several P basses as well as PJ's. It's apples and carrots to compare the two. I do like both types but for different reasons. I suggest you try the P for a few days with your rig and see if you like it better than the SUB in a side by side compairson, if so - trade. But as far as value goes, as long as the SUB is all original and not damaged it's worth between $400 and $600 and will probably stay at that value for a couple more years before it starts to climb. They are good basses and are already getting harder to find in good condition so the prices are already getting firmer. The Fender (I assume MIM) may sound and look good as well and is worth about the same price used as the SUB but will take much much longer to ever appreciate in value due to the sheer number on the market at any time not to mention the cheaper non Fender P basses that dilute the overall value of the Fender P bass.
    Bottom line, trade for it if you like the looks, feel and sound better than what you own, but do a couple day side by side trial on your rig first to see if its really what you are looking for.

16. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    subs werent the "poor mans" stingray. hell, new they cost more than a geddy.. same electronics and wood as a stingray.. they are meant to be more of a workhorse than a stingray

as was said to me when i was thinking about buying a sub "if you wanna impress people get a stingray, if u just wanna play get the sub"

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I could be wrong, but I believe the SUB is worth more on the used market, assuming the P is MIM. So value-wise it's not a good trade. You'd be better off selling your SUB and buying a P if that's what you want. If the P is a MIA you're ahead.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'll always take MM over Fender. Never played a sub but my main bass is a Stingray, and used to be my Bongo. I had a MIA P deluxe that I absolutely hated (it had many issues and was falling apart on me from the day I bought it), and recieved a MIM (the one you're talking about) for Xmas. The Fender feels nice in the house, but gigs has this inehrent kinda cheap sound that I can't quite put my finger on. I swapped the pickups for dimarzios thinking that would fix it up, but all I seem to have gotten out of that is some hotter output. Perhaps I'm just used to the punch that MMs put out. That punch is NOT present in my P deluxe, nor was it present in the MIA.

For what it's worth, I think the sub looks waay cooler than the Fender too. :) I think it's going to have collectors item status in the not so distant future also.

19. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Had a SUB, traded it in a fit of weakness, wish I had it back. I even went back a couple of days later but it was already gone. Keep the SUB and either save up for a P, they are everywhere...or take advantage of GC's credit promo and get one. Here in Vegas you can get used MIM P's all day for around 250.00, SUB's on the other hand go for closer to 400.00, when you can find them. Seriously...keep the SUB or you will regret it later, nothing else sounds like the SUB, period.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Didn't I say something very similar to that? That his reasons for trade should be considered and how if he thought the Fender would do better to go for it?

I was just ebaying the Fenders and SUBs. The SUB was going for between $500 and $750, The Fenders between $900 and at least $1150. That to me looks like the Fender does hold its value better. Now the Fenders I'm looking into are the MIA Deluxes which is what I'm thinking the OP is referring to because he does say its a Deluxe P.