MusicMan SUB vs. KSDJ704 (I'm have to buy one tonight) HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hope you all can help me here. I'm SOOOOOO stuck on this decision. I like both so much.

The KSD is Ash w/ Maple board just so you know what type of Jazz I'm considering.

Which would you choose and why?
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Why do you have to buy one tonight, outta curiousity..
  3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hmm. You've left out a couple of important bits of information such as:

1. What you're looking for in a bass
    2. What the price difference is
    3. What bass(es) you have already
    4. Which SUB model you're considering

But all that aside, play them both--through your own amp if possible--and the right choice will make itself apparent. Since these are both mass-produced instruments, very small differences in quality will be evident from bass to bass. Play them both and decide.
  4. What I'm looking for in a bass is a nice aggressive sound. Growly and edgy. Nice slap tones too.
    Price isnt' really an issue because one is $629 and the other is $699. Its the SUB 5. Poplar Body w/ Rosewood.

I like both, but can't decide between the two. I would love to buy both, but the wifey wont let me. "wait a while for the other" *sigh*

its too long of a story to write which one I have to choose tonight, but nonetheless its tonight.
  5. why?
  6. KSD, becuase the SUB i played sucked.
  7. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    good slap tone --> KSD
  8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Based on the information you provided, I suspect you may find the SUB tone more to your liking.

An ash body with maple board will be much longer on high-end "snap" than the poplar bodied SUB, which will have a more prominent mid-range. If you want growl, I'd say give the SUB a good look. Ash/maple is great for a bright slap tone a la Marcus Miller.

Is the SUB active? If so, then all other things held equal that would be my suggestion. But theory aside, you should check both out extensively. See which neck feels better. How do they balance? What do you think of the string spacing on each? Are the electronics quiet? Any major finish or construction flaws? Which has the straighter neck? (That's the big one for me, because I live for low action)

There are no shortage of people out there (some in this thread, even) who are all too ready to dismiss an entire line of instruments simply because the one example they played was set up poorly or didn't sound fantastic.

Well, here's the reality this price range, some basses are "keepers" and others are not. When it gets down to buying-time, play both and choose one, the other, or neither.
  9. Ya see Dr. PhunkyPants, thats what I'm looking for. Something like that..... I'll see. I'm going to run to GC and play both back to back and will tell what my decision is.

If anyone else has any info, i'm going to be refreshing this tread like... every 5 minutes to see what everyone says. I'm STILL very much undecided and STILL looking for peoples advise.

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Also, do your best to relax. From your posts, it sounds like you might be a little keyed-up. Take some deep breaths, take a walk around the block, play Halo 2...whatever. Buying decisions are always better made with a clear head.
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a KSD as my jazz style bass. It nails the feel and tone of my old '79 jazz bass. Eyes closed i cannot tell the difference... Plus you get the smith BT circuit...
  12. There is no bass emergency. If it HAS to be tonight, you should probably sleep on it.
    It's a guitar, don't panic.
  13. DZ, what are your thoughts on the Smith BT circuit? I'm not too sure how good its going to be, being its made over seas. Do you find a more growly sound in passive or active?
  14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The SUBs are decent low budget MIA basses but those KSD imports look really hot! (played one for like 2 minutes at a guitar store...played pretty well...din't plug it in though.)

Are you looking for growly high mids or a Fendery type tone?

15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a KSD for a short time last year and aside from the fact that it was a bit on the heavy side it was a solid bass. Nice vintage tone and great slap tone. A couple of frets needed a little work but all in all for the money it was a good instrument. You can find them used for a litttle less money so it might be worth a look and then save up and buy the SUB. Good luck!
  16. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SUBs....I owned 5 string for a few months. Very solid bass if not a little ugly. Way tooooo bright for me though. I don't know if they are all that way but mine was just sooo bright sounding.
  17. I own and love a SUB 5, textured teal. Ugly? I think it's sexy as hell. It is bright, especially with the treble pot full open.

It's growly and edgy.

The pickup is passive; the electronics are active.

You've just got to try them out for yourself, though. I'm just telling what I know about my bass.
  18. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I guess ugly is too harsh. I had the flat black textured paint job on mine and put a gloss b/w/b pickguard on looked pretty cool after that. I'm just used to natural wood finishes and that textured finish took me just a little while to get used to it.