Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman sub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tangodown87, May 22, 2004.

1. wonderin if any1 has played or has any thoughts on the musicman sub bass cos i dont have quite enough money for a stingray im afraid! :crying:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Welcome to TalkBass!!

There are several threads here about this bass already. Might want to try a search.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I am not a Stringray Person, and I am not a S.U.B. or Bongo Person, I dont really like anything about the bass at all, the Sound, the Neck, the Body, the Fretwork, the action. I have tried out MANY of them, and Have not found any to my liking....

Try to get a Used Peavey Cirrus. The Cirrus is a GREAT bass for the money.

4. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    i second that.
    and i add:

I think it's a great bass, imho it's a 2b-eq stingray with a cheesy pickguard, and a black finished neck. plays and sounds pretty much like a stingray. Since i like the 3b-eq so much i would recommend you to go for a used stingray to avoid the pickguard and neckfinish.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've played live with a SUB twice, I had to barrow it from a guy I know because my bass was out of commission. I didn't like it at all. The neck bothered me, the feel of the body, the UGLY UGLY off centered diamond plate pickguard, I didn't like the tone either. I'd much rather buy a used stingray or a used G&L for the (imo) overpriced SUB.

6. thanks for the help,the sound i need is like a stingray, that wicked treble sound it gives but i dont have the cash for a stingray really any sugesstions?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    As i live in england, i can tell you what our prices are like here.

What is your buget? give me a figure.

8. ideally about £500 , £600 if i really strecth my budget, only just left school im afraid. exams comin up and dont hav too much cashm still owe cash on my other bass! :crying: (dont ya just feel sorry for me!) just need to figure what i shud save 4!

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've play a 4 and a 5. I didn't care too much for the 5'er, but I really dug the 4. Nice fast neck and comfortable to play. She was a tad too sizzly though.

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    so thats $896.40 for us americans this should help with our suggestions.

hmmm I wonder if you can find a sandberg around there the basics seem to be nice.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    GC has the 4's for abot $650.

12. u talkin bout the sub here? not too bad then? i just bought a fender mex jazz bass and im happy with that, u reckon a sub will satisfy my needs?

13. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Have you given one a whirl? They seem to get very good reviews.

14. if u hav a suggestion , post a link that wud b great
    thanks for your help

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yeah, I spent about 30 minutes putting a 4 through the paces. VERY good bass for the price.

16. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I am not a Musicman Fan, but if you want that stringray sound... Save up for a Stingray...

I hate when People say, "I want that Stringray/Fender/XXX sound"

Well, Just get the Darn bass that you said you wanted to sound like!!! Jeez, the only thing I could understand is Wanting a Fender Look, but Not a Fender (Sadowsky)