Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Hi

These basses seem to be getting popular, if I'm not mistaken, one of the two bass players in the James Brown band was playing one last night in London. I could only see the detail on big screens but it looked like a SUB to me!

Two bass players? whats that all about?

Tony

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I really dig the tone and feel of the SUB, and that's what matters most...even if I hate the name and finish/pickguard. :eyebrow:

3. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Hey T. Alan - I'll second you on that one. I've tried one before and I couldn't put it down!

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just put one in layaway for $499. Teal/Active. I can't wait until I get it out. Its gonna look nice with a black or white pearl pickguard.

5. MM SUB loves all, and I in turn love it.

6. I played the SUB 2 days ago... rather nice bass... shame bout the finish tho.. :eyebrow: ... although it is a nice bass i played the ibanez srx500 (half the price of the SUB) and found it just as nice, a little bit more playable and a better range in tone. Im lookin at buying one, i originally wanted the SUB but for half the price and all that jazz... gotta go ibanez ;)

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Your getting a JAZZ & an Ibby for 1/2 the cost of an SUB??? ;) :D

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got the SUB5. Black finish that looks real cool. Had to take off that godawful pickguard tho. Looks really cool without the pickguard and just the pickguard screws in. I can't vouch for the 4stringers but the SUB5 is a definite player. I don't slap...strictly fingerstyle....plays like buttah. I did recently switch out the pickup with an SD Basslines and wired it in series to the stock preamp. Getting MUCH more of a rockin low mid heavy tone (what I was looking for). Great bass though.
    -Bazz-

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Horrible, horrible basses. I've gigged with a SUB twice. Not a great bass for finger style too trebley. The paint is awful as well as the neck and the pickguard. IMO not nearly as good as a stringray. I would rather find a used stingray for $700 then get a SUB.

10. I played a SUB once, thought it was OK, nice sound, finish is OK if thats your bag, like the man said, a good used 'ray is probably a better buy

Tony

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "Horrible, horrible basses." Uhh...yeah. Ernie Ball makes horrible, horrible basses. :rollno:

I forgot to add that I thought it was a decent bass IMO. You should add this to your posts as well. ;)

-Bazz-