Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Sub

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 12, 2004.

1. I have the Musicman Sub 4 string bass, any good suggestions for a replacement pickup and pre amp controls etc.

The treble pot ( the SUB is only 2 eq ) has a fault i think its not noisy but sometimes it seems to play up, any ideas about sourcing a replacment pot

Marty

2. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i will get my olp from service next week.they ll put me basslines musicman replacement kit in it (pick up and preamp)
    but i think that pick up on sub is far better than on OLP so i recomend u to change stock preamp for BASSLINES STC 3m3.
    it s 3 band eq.
    but be carefull with treble control .

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Ernie Ball has the greatest customer service in the industry. Contact then via their website, or call them. they'll take care of you for sure!
    http://www.ernieball.com/contact.php

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The SUB is inherently an extremely trebly bass. Too much so IMO. I kept the preamp but swapped the pickup for a Seymour Duncan wired in series. Now is sounds great (even with the stock preamp). The stock pickup is hard-wired in parallel which is always going to favor treble over bass. The SD in series places much more emphasis on mids and low mids (much more) while still retaining a cutting edge tone for cutting through the mix. Try it and see.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-