Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman sub!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinpen, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    How does the S.U.B. compare to the Stingray? All of the reviews I've read say they're nearly identical, but what's lost in the SUB that makes it cost so much less? Is the difference enough to warrant holding out for a stingray or something similar?

I've been looking for a new bass recently and came across a Stingray, and maybe it was just how it was (or wasn't) set up, but it didn't feel worth the $1,200 price tag, and was considering grabbing an S.U.B. Other basses I've been considering are a rockbass corvette, curbow 6 or a geddy lee, and any experience/opinions on how those stack up to each other/the s.u.b. would be helpful too. A single-hb bongo would be amazing, but I'd have to sell off my current bass to get it, something I couldn't possibly part with (vic signed it), so I've got a budget of $700 max.

2. robjs

robjs

Dec 19, 2004
    From what I've read (I'm looking to get the SUB), it's the quality of the wood, and the different finishes. The SUB uses the same electronics, and is basically a Stingray otherwise.

I'll be watching this thread too.

Rob

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Then there's the uncontoured body and the cheesy pickguard.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think SUBs are a great deal. Their build quality is up to Ernie Ball standards, even if they are not as beautiful as the other Musicman models. The main thing is that these basses have the STingray sound. I had a teal SUB four for just a few days before I traded it for a Peavey USA Millennium five, and frankly I still miss that bass because it sounded just as good as the Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray I owned in the mid 1980's.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    A standard Stingray pickguard fits perfectly, and does a lot to improve the look. Another difference is that the back of the neck on the SUB is painted (I liked it).

You should be able to find a used active SUB 4 for around $400, and a used Geddy Lee for around $500. If you want a Stingray sound, go SUB. If you want a Jazz sound, go Geddy Lee. They are both two of my top picks in that price range. You could also look for a used USA Jazz in the $500-600 range. Used Stingrays are usually in the $650-750 range.

Another nice bass in that range is the G&L Tribute L2000 (or Tribute L2500 for a five).

6. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    How's the SUB's playability in regards to a stingray? I like my action uber uber low, and the stingray I played had it higher than I usually tolerate, was wondering if that's a setup thing or if it's just the bass

i sort of like the aluminum pickguard too

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Stingray-ash or alder body (countoured), 2 or 3 band active electronics, maple or rosewood fretboard, gloss poly. finish, plastic pg, "musicman" engraved bridge

SUB-poplar body (slab body), 2 band active or passive electronics, rosewood fretboard, painted neck and headstock, cheap lookin pg (IMO), Textured finish, no engraving on bridge

All in all the quality on the SUB is still amazing, they sound great and cost alot less. I own a Stingray and have played many SUBs, not identical basses, but damn close for half the price. PS. you can get the action low on a Ray or SUB, its just takes a little setting up.

Also If your considering the Geddy, its a sick bass, I just got one and it sounds great, but Im addicted to the Stingray. Try em both out and see what feels and sounds better to you. thats the best way to decide.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Now if they only made lefty SUBs, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

9. Guinpen

Guinpen

Dec 21, 2004
    are subs on the same build quality as rockbasses? i played a rockbass today and thought it was pretty damned good of a bass and had a great slap tone

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Does anyone have any definitive information as to the pickup of the S.U.B. basses? Specifically, I'd like to know, is it in fact the same pickup used in the StingRay, or is it somehow different. The reason I ask is I'm actually thinking of ripping out the preamp of one of my StingRay's just for the hell of it...

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I hate SUB's.

I'd much rather get a G&L Trib. You get a beautiful paint job switches up the wahzoo and a non painted neck.

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yes, with a Brice and SX, I can see where you're coming from.

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I sincerely hope the previous poster was joking...I've never even heard of Brice and SX instruments, so I felt compelled to search the 'net...

I very much doubt that I will be replacing any of my Fender's, Rickenbacker's, Warwick's, or Ernie Ball/Music Man's with Brice's or SX's. And while I can't see myself buying a S.U.B., as I can easily afford multiple StingRay's, given the choice between a S.U.B. and an SX PJ-62, it's really not much of a contest.

Although, hey, maybe I should replace my Trace Elliot V-Type head with a Behringer. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's it...I could get rid of my SWR Interstellar Overdrive and Power 750 and get a Behringer. :rollno:

Look pally, while no one is likely to disparage you for not being able to afford professional quality gear--you certainly deserve to be shot down for criticizing top flight gear when all you have is ****e. :smug:

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Read the Essex megethread. Brice and Essex (sx) bassesa re budget basses that are surprisingly good.

I wouldnt mind SUBs if they had a contoured body. The paint wouldnt bother me, nor would the painted neck, which i tihnk actually looks neat. Id change the pickguard, and if it sounds like a stingray, cool. But for some reasont he un countoured body would bother me, itd feel like iwas playing a chunk of wood.

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Sorry about being flippant. I just find it ignorant to say "I hate (filll in bass here)", especially when one has, oh, one or two years of full experience with basses and owns budget level instrument(s).

I mean, come on. If you have an informed opinion, share it. If you want to appear ignorant, flap your gums endlessly no matter what your actual (non)experience may be.

SUBS are quality instruments. They may not suit your needs, but "I hate SUBs" is a silly thing to post.

the I hate mandolins,
    bovine

16. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Much higher, about the same level of quality as any other MM bass. That means real good.

17. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    If it wasnt for the lame finish/pickguard/ PAINTED NECK, i would be saying how great of a bass they are. The finish bothers me, what is the point? the guard you can change and the neck isnt smooth to me at all.

just my view.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I picked up a four/passive new on sale at GC for $319.99 a couple of months ago, purely out of curiosity. For some reason, some of them were being blown out at the various stores while other ones were still up on the wall at regular price. Why? Beats me. A guy wrote me and said he got a new five/active for $289.99 at his GC store.

It's an astoundingly good bass for the money, even at regular price. The finish is hideous, but nearly bulletproof. I don't know what it is, but I haven't been able to scratch or ding it yet. Yes, the pickguard is butt-ugly. So's the color.

It's my understanding (and if I have been misinformed, please correct me) that the pickup is the same as the Stingray's, as are most of the important features. The machine heads are different, but well-plated (man, I love MM metalwork!) and functional. Excellent fretwork with a very true fretboard permitting exceptionally low action.

My only serious beef is that mine's incredibly heavy, just under ten and a half pounds. That's significant for me.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I haven't had much experience with SUBs. Picked one up at GC a few months back and thought it was okay, but the question is this.

People complain all the time about the "painted" neck on the Bongo and how it "feels". Um.....shut up. There is a finish, a satin finish over the paint, so you're not "feeling" the paint, okay?

Is it the same on the SUBs? Is there a finish over the paint? If so, I don't get why people think they can "feel" the paint.

20. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I would really like to know about the pickups, because I've been under the impression that the Music Man pickup really needed to have that active preamp in order to sound "correct". LAtely, I've been thinking I'd rather have a passive bass (even though *every* bass I have is active, or maybe because of that), so if I can remove the active preamp from the StingRay and still have it sound good, I'd like to try it.

And if that *is* the case, I can trot down to GC and check out a passive S.U.B. to test my theory before cutting any wires. I've played a S.U.B. once, but I wasn't seriously listening to it, as, again, I already have two StingRay's...

I do definitely agree that the finish of the S.U.B. is hideous as well as the silly Al pickguard, but in black it's not so bad, and the pickguard can be changed out.