MusicMan Subs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flea666, May 1, 2005.

1. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Are they any good, ive been playing for 3 year and i want a good bass, every bass ive had has been under £200, i had a vintage musicman copy i loved it but it sounded like crap, so i figure that a musicman sub wud be a good bass to go with?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't own one but I have played one and I thought it was very impressive. I would buy one, but I don't need another bass. Playability was good, construction was excellent, sound was very good. Play one and decide for yourself.

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard people say they think they stink but from what theyve said i just tihnk thats bc they were set up badly. I think if u get one thats set up properly by someone other than Guitar Center, its a good bass.
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They are great basses and have a distinctly bright tone (the ones with on board eqs). Once you get them set up properly they play very well and feel great. I couldn't get into the tone which is why I sold mine....but as far as quality goes....they are impressive for the price.
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have an active SUB 5 and it's a very nice bass.
    Mine was setup properly, and the tone is VERY close to that of my old Pre-EB StingRay 4.
    The best advice I'd give is go out and try one if you can.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    *** ROTFLMAO
    Ok, ok, now we are recognizing vintage copies? what is that?
  7. I could be wrong, but isn't Vintage a brand?
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Whew! Thanks for clearing that up :)
    I feel better now :)
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like the SUB. At the time, they had just came out and I was really curious to try one at a price tag of $699 USD without case. I would've walked out the door with one as a backup to my Stingray if I didn't just get it for $699 USD WITH case. You can probably get a used Ray for the price of a new SUB, but it you can get a used SUB, run with it and don't look back!
  10. I played an active 2 band a short while ago. The sound was there, and so was the quality. Overall, I liked it. However, I wasn't a huge fan of the textured finish and the aluminium scratchplate (of course, changeable). A front cutaway for your arm would have been nice too but it wasn't too big a deal for me, the 'belly' cutaway is even less a moaning point. If it wasn't for my being totally skint at the moment and having GASsed for a Sterling ever since I stumbled across the MM website, I'd surely be on my way to getting one.
  11. aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    I've played both the Stingray S.U.B and the Sterling S.U.B and liked them both. But the Sterling S.U.B. has a 3 band eq and is more tonally versitile. FWIW