1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MUSICMAN THREAD "Sterling" vs "The Norm"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unfun, Jul 18, 2007.

1. unfun

unfun

Jul 18, 2007
    Sydney
    alrighty! which one would you say is better? the sterling or the normal stingray, be it 4 or 5 string? don't even mention the SUB cause i think its a peice of crap but if u enjoy it, post it!

2. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    i like stingrays more in the 5 string variant

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i like both, i have a Sterling. it's a little easier to play and there are more tonal options.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

4. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i have a few of both. i like them both and wouldnt say one is better than the other... but the sterling suits me and my style more than the sr4 does.

The sterling's naturally more aggressive and the neck is the comfiest neck ive ever played.

so i like the sterling... but its not "better". The HS Sterling is my favorite of the lot

5. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Would you be willing to mention the Bongo?

the just asking,

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I like the 5-string Sterling SUB. It'z tha bomb! Whatever you do, get one you like!

7. Well, the SR-5 is more like a sterling than a stingray. But they call it a stingray.

8. homerplaysbass

homerplaysbass

May 18, 2005
    Preston
    I have one of each and although I love my 'Ray, the Sterling is more versatile tonewise and punches through the mix better

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sterling is my favorite bass. I really love the neck, it is so comfortable and fast. The smaller body is nice as well, fits me well since I am a slender dude. Tonewise, it has more mids and definitely cuts through better.

10. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I prefer the Sterling HS.

11. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I had a Sterling Fretless, and I found the small body to cause me problems, maybe because I am big guy. Small bodied basses just don't seem to balance right and they cause odd angles for my hands to play in first position. I will say that the neck was the fastest neck of all time.

12. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I only have a Sub Sterling right now, but I love it. It's the bass I reach for first. The preamp works pretty good and for $500 how could I go wrong.

[​IMG]

I used to have a Blue Sparkle Stingray 5 and really regret selling it, but I'm saving up for a Sterling.

13. Damn. You beat me to it. :D :spit: :D

14. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    heres one for the RAY!!!

ok, if you like the Jazz neck, go the sterling, its a great bass, and im not going to argue the point that an H sterling has more tones in it than an H ray....but nothing punches you in the face like a ray!!!

SR5s and sterlings, just dont do it for me. I believe the ray 4 has different material pickup and is wired different...if it was H vs H id go the RAY. No doubt one of my favourite things ever. with the advent of the HH and HS, my HH ray does EVERYTHING...i can leave my amp flat and get anything i need out of the on board pickup tap and EQ...i love it!

but i guess thats true with sterling also.

you really need to play both if your thinking about making a purchase

15. I like the 'rays :)

And i dont have to worry about tonal options with these:

P1010017-1.

16. unfun

unfun

Jul 18, 2007
    Sydney
    no the bongo has nothing on the others. yeah the Sterling really is king for me, its has a really distinct sound. and is a mad slap bass. IF YOU GOT PICS OF YOUR MUSIC MAN POST THEM!:bassist:

17. I own a stingray. I prefer the ray necks.

EDIT: I havn't posted it in a while :)

ray.

18. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    +1 my fav bass ever

19. I prefer the Stingray.