Musicman types

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 24, 2001.

1. I have a question regarding Musicman pickups.

I notice the Stingray's pickup is just an oversized humbucker... correct? What is the difference between that and the one with a hum-canceling phantom coil that is offered on other Musicman basses? Why would the stingray 4-string not have it?

Can anyone clear things up for me on this issue?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to Pickups.

Will C.:cool:
  3. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Well, I'm not familiar with the Musicman model with the phantom coil, but let me guess what the difference is. In the regular Musicman pickup, there are two sets of coils, and each has it's own polepieces. Each set produces output, and the humcancelling is obtained by the fact that the coils are out of phase. Since the magnets are out of phase, the signal is then in-phase, but the hum, which just "sees" the coils, is out of phase. (Did I explain that OK??) Anyway, since there are two sets of polepieces, you have a "wide" aperature pickup, which senses a larger section of the vibrating string. I'm guessing that the phantom coil model has a second coil (for hum-cancelling), but doesn't have the polepieces in the second coil, so you have humcancelling, but not as much output, but you have a "narrow" aperature pickup.

Is someone familiar with the construction of the "phantom" coil model??

4. My guess is that the Sterling only uses the phantom coil when played in single coil mode with good result, and no hum. The Ray cant be played in singel coil mode and hence no phantom coil. My $0.02. :)