MusicMan VS JAZZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Sep 23, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I know I allready asked this but I need to buy a pickup within a week and i need as many opnions as possible...for a bridge pickup what would be better for growl and jacoish sound A musicman type humbuckler or a single Jazz pickup for bridge thanks....
  2. Well if you are looking for a jacoish sound. Then the Jazz it is.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yes, no question about that. DoubleJ pups work too.
  4. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    I’d join any others who may say go try both a Fender Jazz and Stingray and decide for yourself -- Can't go wrong with that, assuming you've got time and access.

In lieu of that, my vote is for jazz -- That’s given my experience given what you're after, although it's not like the jazz 100% beats out the MM.

Because you're after growl + jaco, I say jazz. I've got a MM and two Jazzes. I *can* get a mean growl out of my MM, but that's through my DI, compression, and EQ. Otherwise it's got a pretty scooped tone (I love it, but it's not growl and definitely not Jaco).

The Jazzes are a little easier to get growl out of (for me, just a hint of EQ and it starts). Plus, when I think Jaco I think of the almost nasal quality of the tone. Soloing/favoring the bridge PU gets you in that direction, consistent with what one will see discussed a lot in the forums.

Talk soon,