MusicMan VS JAZZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lilvampboyx, Sep 23, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    I know I allready asked this but I need to buy a pickup within a week and i need as many opnions as possible...for a bridge pickup what would be better for growl and jacoish sound A musicman type humbuckler or a single Jazz pickup for bridge thanks....

2. Well if you are looking for a jacoish sound. Then the Jazz it is.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1
    Yes, no question about that. DoubleJ pups work too.

4. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I’d join any others who may say go try both a Fender Jazz and Stingray and decide for yourself -- Can't go wrong with that, assuming you've got time and access.

In lieu of that, my vote is for jazz -- That’s given my experience given what you're after, although it's not like the jazz 100% beats out the MM.

Because you're after growl + jaco, I say jazz. I've got a MM and two Jazzes. I *can* get a mean growl out of my MM, but that's through my DI, compression, and EQ. Otherwise it's got a pretty scooped tone (I love it, but it's not growl and definitely not Jaco).

The Jazzes are a little easier to get growl out of (for me, just a hint of EQ and it starts). Plus, when I think Jaco I think of the almost nasal quality of the tone. Soloing/favoring the bridge PU gets you in that direction, consistent with what one will see discussed a lot in the forums.

Talk soon,
    HooBass