1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman vs Rickenbacker (sp?) + HI ALL!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chilimagik, Mar 7, 2008.

1. chilimagik

chilimagik

Mar 7, 2008
    Hi all! Firstly im new to this awsome site so I hope im welcome in this thriving community.
    I've been playing bass for near 3 years and im an ok player but desperate to improve my skills.
    My first bass was a stagg (£100 with my FatRat 30w amp - which i still use today)
    After a year i traded that stagg in for a Washburn xb500 (Discontinued) and have since redone the action and made it fretless. Also i've changed the strings to go EADGC rather than the standard BEADG using Nickel Wound strings.

Anyhoo enough about my rig and more onto what this is all about.

Im desperate for a Music Man Stingray. Wanted one ever since I played one in Curly's in Liverpool, UK.

Firstly: Whats the difference between the EQ2 and EQ3 apart from about £150? I've only played the EQ2.

Secondly i've been advised to buy a Rickenbacker. Roughly the same price but I can't actually handle one coz no were near where I live deals in them. Its an order in or internet job it seems :(

Can I please get some advice. I will be buying one at the end of summer :)

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

2. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    Welcome to the forum!

I know a little about both Stingrays and Ricks. :)

I would have to give the nod to Rickenbacker 4001/3's for versatility. You can get a very wide range of tone from a Rick. On the other hand, nothing really sounds like a Stingray. There is the unique midrange growl and low-end punch they get that very few basses can match.

The difference in tone controls is adding midrange control to the EQ3. I find it truly works on my 30th Anniversary, but on a regular Stingray I would stay with EQ2, just treble and bass. My preference. On most Stingrays, I usually want a little more treble zing, nothing more. The midrange EQ kinda honks IMO. On Ricks, I run everything wide open and use the pickup switch to dictate tone.

Stingrays slap and pop better than Ricks. On the other hand, Ricks usually have very low action and, in my opinion, play very fast and very smooth. Pick players seem to prefer Ricks, but I rarely use a plectrum. Then again, the MusicMan Sterling is a fast-playing bass. It is similar to the Stingray with with a narrower neck, slightly lighter body, and generally brighter sound.

You really will not go wrong with either brand. They both represent excellent values for production instruments. I think your choice will be largely dictated by the way you want to play. Both do hard rock, both can do jazz. I would lean toward the Stingray for funk and the Rick for jazz, but I am sure others have different views.

Attached Files:

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You're in the UK, near Liverpool? I bet there's a music store somewhere near you with a new or used Rickenbacker you can play. Play the Rickenbacker, then go play the StingRay again. Buy whichever one you like better. If you want a new Rickenbacker and can't find one in a store near you, buy it from a reputable internet dealer. You can always take it to another store for a setup - they shouldn't care where you bought it as long as you are paying for the setup. Sure, there's a very remote possibility that there might me something wrong with an instrument you buy from an internet dealer, but a reputable one will always replace it at no cost - the really good internet merchants won't even charge additional shipping for a straight return and replacement.

Both the StingRay and the Rickenbacker are on the short list of "standard" basses that everyone would like to have, along with the two Fender models.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    IMO, Stingrays are better quality, Ric's look better.

5. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Both are good basses, but sound and feel very differently. Play both then decide. I have played the Ric, but the Stingray fits better into my style and felt better to me so that is what I have. No matter how a bass looks and sounds it also has to feel right so you enjoy playing it.

6. I have a Ray and a Ric as my main basses atm.

My comparison isn't quite perfect, unfortunately, because my Ric has neck/truss rod problems, giving it very high action.

That issue aside, I would say the Ray can cope a wider range of tones, but the Ric does 'the tone' of trebley growl better. The Ray is more of a low mid growl.
    So depending on where you like your growl to live, go with one or the other.
    Or both, like me :D

The Ric is also much lighter than the Ray, but conversely, the Ray is much tougher and less fragile than the Ric.

7. I wouldn't be so sure about that. If there is a store that has a tech that is qualified to work on rics they probably sell them too. I recently took a couple of jazz basses to a highly regarded shop in my area to have shielding, setups, odds and ends done, and they denied my business because I didn't buy them from this particular store. I think this is a horrible business practice, because I will never go there again but it's reality and may happen elsewhere.

8. chilimagik

chilimagik

Mar 7, 2008
    ah ok kool, thanks for all that guys :)

I went round liverpool today and got a go on the Ray 2EQ and liked it but no where had a Rick :( Dawsons told me they would jopefully be getting one in soon but theyve been telling ppl that since november '07 lol. Another shop told me theres an 18 month waiting list for a Rick...Seriously ***?

Mike

9. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    If you go for a stingray, get the 2 band EQ.

It looks nicer.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I have both and I can tell you: No comparison points. Absolutely different instruments, both great depending on what you want to do.

11. chilimagik

chilimagik

Mar 7, 2008
    hmm...

my main influences are the chilis, 311, primus, wooten, pastorius and other funky sounding bands. Guessing the Ray is better for that then?

Oh i love jazz and Ska music aswell <(^^.)>

12. +1 I'm a SR-5 player but I've played a Ric or 2 in my day. They are too dis-similar to compare.

13. don't get it whats one more knob do to the appearance--> I'd take that 3-EQ because--> why not?

14. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i've played a musicman on several occasions but never bought one (they sound great but there ugly IMO)
    but i have owned a ric 4003 and a vintage (1970something) 4001
    the stingray has a much more modern design and tone, the ric is much more oldschool its a bit like comparing a 1960's valve amp to a state of the art solid state amp
    all i can really pass on is my exp with the rics which is...

pros
    versitile: you can get pretty much any tone you want
    low action and fast neck: its a great bass neck to shred on
    good build quality: these things are bombproof
    ric "o" growl: you can always tell a ric sound a mile off
    gorgeous: seriously if the imput jack was a little bigger you'd take it to bed

cons
    price: there not cheap and vintage ones go for silly money
    slap is a no no: these things just wont slap and pop nicley
    dual truss rods: these can be a pain in the @$$ to set
    bridge: setting the inotation involves taking the strings off grrr
    uncomfy: there not very ergonomic on the old forearms

i wouldnt recomend buying a ric till you've actually played one through a big amp on 11 there fantastic but not for everyone

15. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I like having the input jack on the front :p

16. New Ricks sound much more upfront that the old ones and are made very well for the most part. I think they have a more versatile sound. I don't slap but have seen guys do it with them and they sound great at it. You can funk out with a new 4003 if you like either old school or new. Musicmans are kind of like P basses, they have their sound and that's it and I like P basses. Oh incidentally put flatwounds on a Ric and they can do a convincing P bass sound.

17. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I personally think the Sterling and Ric are more comparable than the Stingray vs Ric.

18. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    +1

ha ha no way that was one of the 1st things i did when i got my 1st rick

19. chilimagik

chilimagik

Mar 7, 2008
    what are flatwounds?? :S

20. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member