1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman vs Thunderbird For Aggression

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I've begun on a FrankenP project, and I'm trying to decide on a bridge pickup for it.

I'm looking for a punchy, in-your-face tone that really roars out, mostly for rock and metal. A thin sound does not work for me, I want it to have more fundamental weight than a jazz bridge pickup, without being muddy.

So, Stingray or Thunderbird style?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Active or passive? Most MM pickups sound fairly thin in passive mode, which is not what you want...

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This is awesome! I'm actually doing the same thing right now!! I'm modding my SCPB with T-bird pickups. The plan is to put the 'bird pups in the same relative spots and they would be on a T-bird. Wiring will be V/V/T.

4. Thanks for the reply. Yea look, I'd prefer passive, I am a man of simple tastes, and I prefer the sound. However if it means getting the job done, I am open to active. The other issue I see is that it won't be able to inhabit the 'sweet spot' of MM pups, due to the P placement.

Thanks! So you are placing them at the neck, as well as the bridge? I did make the choice between having a neck 'bucker (ala Billy Sheehan), but I think the bridge would be more useful for me in the end. What sound do you expect from the T-bird pickups? I have no experience with it as a bass I must say. I plan on wiring it Master Vol/Blend/Tone, again for simplicity.

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Yeah, I've had a bass wired with the neck humbucker, Sheehan-style. I did it to a bass about a year ago, but quickly found that I just didn't need it. With this one I'm just going to put the neck pickup in the P-bass position (roughly) and then add the bridge pickup.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The T-Bird PU is your answer for roar... IF you're gonna be using a pick.

Fingerstyle, IME, with those PUs gets you a lot of mud and not much else.

7. I'd be doing both, but primarily fingers. This is an issue for me then, I am absolutely opposed to mud. Do you believe that placing the pickup quite close to the bridge would alleviate the 'muddy finger' problem?

8. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Come on now. Don't give us "Mud" playing Gibson players a bad name.