1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman with neck like a Sterling SB14

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clmartin22, Oct 25, 2018.

1. clmartin22

clmartin22

Oct 25, 2018
    Fulton, MS
    Is there a music man Ray bass with think jazzy neck like the Sterling SB14? I just love that neck. Wish they would have made that bass in a five string.....

2. clmartin22

clmartin22

Oct 25, 2018
    Fulton, MS
    Right, I know all that. I am just asking about getting that SB14 neck radius on a Musicman Stingray. Especially in a 5 string. MM has the cutlass and caprice with that neck but not in 5 string I don't believe. I wasn't sure if there was a special or something that might have had that Jazz neck on it. I just prefer that neck but don't prefer the fender sound. I prefer MM tone....

3. Have you looked at the Ray 35 CA ?

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I don’t like wide or chunky necks . I too prefer the MusicMan build quality, tone and feel.

My fist MusicMan was a USA made SUB . I couldn’t handle the neck or the weight or body size/shape. Loved the tone but too uncomfortable to play. Sold it.

Bought a MusicMan Caprice . Became my number one. Best passive bass I’ve ever played . Sold off my Fender P and Sire V7 Vintage Jazz.

Desired a 5 string active bass. Waited for MusicMan to announce a 5 string Caprice . Once I got confirmation from Scott Ball on this forum that it wasn’t going to happen , I bought a Fender Elite Jazz 5.

Nice bass. A few weeks later the new 2018 Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray Specials hit stores. Several forum members in the Caprice /Cutlass Club suggested I try one. I did. And I did again. And I returned my Fender Jazz Elite V and ordered my Stingray Special 5 HH.
    You should try the new Stingray Special 5 H and/or HH which ever you prefer.
    The necks and new body shape are very comfortable . Great tone. Excellent build quality . Best bass I’ve ever played!!

Skillet likes this.
  5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I can't answer the question with regards to the new Stngray Specials, but with the older Stingrays what you want is a Stingray with the SLO option. This is a Stingray with a Sterling neck...best of both worlds!

dralionux and lowdownthump like this.
  6. lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep but those only came in 4 string version .
    I think OP is asking about 5 string specifically.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    The SB14 is a five string?

8. lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    This is the OP 2nd post in this thread .

9. clmartin22

clmartin22

Oct 25, 2018
    Fulton, MS
    I prefer 5 string and have a Ray25CA. I also have a 4 string SB14 and a SUB. Only the SB14 has that Jazz neck. Playing a church band the five string fits the bill for all the weird keys people want to do, but I really love playing the SB14 so much more. Plus the I miss my 3-way selector and range of tones when I am playing the 25CA. It looks like the MM Stingray 5 Classic is the neck I want...now just got to go find one

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Pretty rare, but if you can find an H Big Al 5 or an H reflex 5, that should get you there. They have Sterling proile necks. Different pre though.