Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, May 8, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Right now I have a cheap Ibanez with EMG's, but it just doesn't sound or feel right. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years, and I feel like I need something more high-quality, easier to play, and better sounding. I bought a Stingray a year or so ago but returned it because it was more money than I really had and I couldn't get the tone out of it that I wanted. That was before I realized how to really work my amp and now I'm jonzing for a Musicman again. I'm considering either a Sterling (I like thinner necks) or a Stingray 5, but I'm not sure which to get. I feel mildly constrained with my 4 string right now and feel the need to have an extra string there just not to move my hand so much, but I don't know if I really need a five. Also, I like more versatile pickup combinations, what do you guys think of the piezo option? I like a bit of growl, but I also want a bit of a natural woody tone... would the piezo be worthwhile?

Dave

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Dmaki,

IMVHO, you should try to get an old Sting Ray (pre-EB), they are genuine killers. I had one a long time ago, I never should have sold it :mad:

You can identify them with the "biggest" bridge that makes you string your bass thru the body.

I don't know the exact year when EB bought out Music Man, but I'm sure some people here know it accurately ;)

However, EB StingRay's seem to be very nice basses too.

All the best,