Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by busbass, Feb 4, 2003.

1. busbass

Feb 4, 2003
    Greetings. This is my 1st post to this forum. I'm looking @ buying a new 5-string. Leaning towards a Stingray. Can anyone reccommend anything in the same pricr range. Thanks.

Groove is Life.........
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Hello and welcome to the board. As a SR5 owner since 97 I would say the Stingray. You might want to try the Lakland Skyline and MTD Heir/Kingston/Grendel (I forget which is which).
  3. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Depends on what you want in a bass that is in the price range that you would want or have to spend.Personally I think there are a few basses that are out there that are better than the MM5 that are the same price or little less.I have a MM5 but it is primarly a 2nd bass.I think the bass that is now getting good accolades right now is the new Rockbass made buy Warwick I've had the chance to try 1 of these and I must say that I was very supprised on how good it sounded however I dont think it has the better construction of the 2.I think the MM5 is starting to get a little pricey for what it is which is basically a hype-up p-bass that's not very versatile at all.Also try the MTD'S the Kingston,and the Saratoga.Real good basses for the money IMO.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have an MM SR5 and I think it's a great bass. When I got it I tried alot of other bass including ones that cost a whole lot more. What I found was that to my ear the basses that cost twice as much didn't necessarily sound twice as good. What they had was really pretty figured tops and fancier hardware. What it came down to for me was the tone. I love that stingray tone. So try them out for yourself and get what you like the most regardless of who makes it. That being said I still gas for those fancy high end hand made basses too. Their just so damn pretty
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i second !

with the single pickup you have to find the different tones in your hands, your attack, where you play ect.
    the sr5 is pretty versatile because of the 3 way switch and a pretty damn usefull eq.the lows are nice and full while still bein punchy. a MUST for me. i just sold off all of my other basses save my carvin 6 string fretless. thats all I need. i feel my basses (sic) are covered! good luck and i recomend buying used.
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I think it sometimes comes to the type of music that you play.As for myself I play all styles of music but mostly r&b,Gospel,Smooth jazz,(for which i call pop instrumental")and Bluegrass so I like a bass that is versatile to do all the styles I mention.As for funk I dont think you would want anything much different than the MM but that is IMO.So with that being said that is why I have it as a 3rd bass (it hardly ever comes out of the gig bag)Hey,but if you have 1 well,Goodie for you"!
  7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Busbass, if you want to hear what a MM
    SR5 sounds like go to my band home page. There we have some samples from our demo CD and some 30 second video clips of us live. The video clips are 6 megabyte AVI files so if you don't have broadband it's gonna take a while.
    Both the video clips and the cd recordings are without any effects at all. The video clips are done with out any PA support EQ set flat on both amp and bass. Amp is SWR SM 400 as pre amp and a QSC PLX 1600 for power amp. Cab is a single EA VL210. Strings are DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams.
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I agree to some extent about having to find the tone in your hands but with this bass there is not very much to find .COME ON ! it only has 3 sounds and no matter who's hands it's in it still going to sound like a MM regardless IMO.
  9. At the end of the day you need to try all the basses in your price range out for yourself.

I ended up with my StingRay5 not because I wanted one from the outset but because it was the bass that sounded the best to my ears AND felt the best to play when I tried out a bunch. I say this because all the contributions so far have concentrated on tone, and as they say this comes from the player as much as it comes from the bass and amp.

If you don't feel comfortable playing a bass there is no way you will produce the range of tones that instrument is capable of IMHO. I disagree with those that say that the SR5 is not a versatile bass as with practice I have managed to get a lot more out of it than the 'funk powerhouse' MM stereotype.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

So how often do you really change the settings on your bass??? I get my sound and I stick with it. The only thing I do is to adjust to the place I am playing.. either indoors or outside..

So what if the Stingray doesn't have 50 knobs and gizmos and you have one Jymungous pickup.. It has killer tone and its pretty fun to play. I used to own one.. I kinda miss it.. ITs a great bass.
  11. From my point of view, they are nice basses, but I dont see what its so great about them. If you have the opportunity of buying in a future another bass, apart from the MM, go ahead and and get the MM now, but to have it as your only bass, I would not recommend it, since to me, they dont seem to much versatile. Instead try and look for maybe a used Lakland, which could be a little more expensive but much much better.
  12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    O.K., just as an experiment. Pluck the SR5 with your thumb as the 12th fret. Roll back the mids and the treble a bit. Put the pickup selector in parallel mode. Got that sound? Now put the pickup selector in series mode, bring up the mids and treble and use a pick back by the bribge. I think you'll find it has a completely different tone. And there are a million different tones in between. If it all sounds the same to you guys who say it's not a versatal bass then thats fine. But just because it only has one pickup doesn't mean it only has three sounds to it.
  13. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    well thanks for trying to help but putting the "infamous selector switch in the middle and rolling back the mids is not my ideal kind of a tone especially with this bass.At the time (before I switched out the pup/preamp)I would push the selector switch to the right, turn the bass all the way up and roll back the treble/mids because the bass did not have any low mids whatsoever at the time.I could do this on this bass because with the "zingy preamp that it had,it still had that real high end bite" and that was with the treble just about turned all the way off.But that was why I switched out the pup/preamp.I wanted more versatility and tighter focus,especially on the lows/low-mids.something you dont get with the stock preamp/pup IMO.:cool:
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Their are so many choices in your price range that it's gonna be a tough choice. Here are a few that could fit in yout budget, give or take a few hundred dollars.

Pre-owned Sadowsky
    Pre-owned Spector NS-5 USA
    New oe pre-owned USA Spector Bolt On
    New or pre-owned Czech Spector Bolt On
    Pre-owned USA Lakland
    New or pre-owned Lakland SkyLine
    Just about any Fender basse
    New or pre-owned G&L L-2500
    Pre-owned G&L L-5500
    New or pre-owned G&L L-1500