Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan5 owners.Do you did 'em or not if so why or why not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Feb 4, 2003.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have a MM5 that I am not that thrill with.Although I've long since changed out the pup/electronics to a Bart MMC pup/Aguilar op-3 preamp it is a lot better but it still is a MM that is just improved a little.Please dont tell me to try Laklands ither because to me they are just a little better exstension of the MM.Sorry.I still love my Tobias basic 5 though.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My SR5 is completely standard. Just because its tonal capabilities are quite what I want from her.

3. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    If you want to sell it let me know.:)

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think that you will find that the majority of the SR5 owners, bought their SR5s because they DIG the tone.

For me, it was more that it was the highest quality bass I could find for the price at the time and I liked the tone OK.

I am also trying to decide whether to Bart MV5CBC & Agie OBP-3 or not. I think it would move me closer to My ideal tone (which apparently is not the straight SR5 tone).

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey man, welcome to talkbass. Where you live in san diego exactly? Im in san diego as well...

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Mines stock

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    sorry mates!obviously I meant "dig'em,but I had just down a couple of shots(well actually a few!)of cognac and also was finishing a fine cigar,not to mention I was also trying to pay attention to this beautiful babe that was and still is sitting next to me.Ahhhhh.The visitudes of Life....Sweeeet.

8. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    BassSaxMan, I live in EastLake! Work in La Jolla. How about you?

What kind of StingRay do you own? I have a Stingray 4 in natural. I'm glad to have found this website.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    100% stock. why f' with a good thing? now put the keyboard down and get with thtat pretty lady!:D

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Mine is totally stock. I like mine cuz I think the tone and playability is second to none in this price range. Not everybody digs them. But that's cool too.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have three, all stock, and I prefer them to the Modulus Q6 and pre-Gibson Tobias I used to own. Not the most versatile bass, but I think its a balls-to-the-wall tone, and I prefer that for my sound.

I can't understand why people buy a bass with a "signature" sound and then try to modify it to sound like something else. There are so many different sounding basses out there, one can easily shop around to find one with the tone that's right for them.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002

Amen brother. You're preachin' to the choir

13. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I had one that was natural ash with maple board. The main reasons I got rid of it were the weight (almost 12 pounds) and the narrow string spacing at the bridge. At first the spacing didn't bother me, then it grew to do so.

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think the reason that some players buy them is because it is one of the few basses that you can buy that has very good construction for what use to be a good price but like every thing else the price of this bass is starting to retail at or a little above the $2000.00 dollars,yeah you most likely will get a discount on it but still for that type of money I think it should be better (electronics wise)than what it is.:mad:

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I live in La Mesa, but I go to school and work in La Jolla as well. Small world eh?

And I dont own a stingray I just wanted to know where you were at.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Like I said earlier,
    -----------------
    For me, it was more that it was the highest quality bass I could find for the price at the time and I liked the tone OK.
    -----------------
    I have had my SR5 for going on three years. What I wanted was a Zon Legacy 5 or a Lakland 55-94, but both were out of my financial means at the time (the Skylines weren't out at the time or I'd have gotten a 55-02).

I picked up my SR5 for $1100 cash brand new; so I got a good deal and I can get a tone that is very close to my ideal, just not 100% of it. And that is why I am considering upgrading the PU and 'tronics.

I am not crazy about the weight, but I think it adds to the solidity of the B string sound which I do love.

The stock SR tone is 100% your tone; that's great, it is for a lot of people. I just have different tone in my head, that's all.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just think that spending more for a change in electronics, regardless of the brand name or price, is "assumed" to be an "upgrade" when on many basses, they won't sound as good as the original to which they were designed as a whole.

Everybody assumes that swapping out stock is always an upgrade. Ernie Ball is VERY protective of that special pickup that's in a 'Ray, they won't even sell one to an existing customer without having the original one sent in first. I always get a kick out of everyone making pickups which resemble the 'Ray pickup externally, when internally they are nowhere close.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a fretless5 and fretted 5, and I like the stock sound on them:cool: ......kinda why I got them.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I should not have used the term "upgrade" (knew it as soon as I posted it).

I happen to like the sound of Bartolini's, which is why I am considering changing to them .

Most of the tone should be from the wood, hardware, strings, & my fingers. Different PUs add their own color to that and I have a strong feeling that a Bart color change on mine is the direction I want to go.

Am I going to lose that SR signature sound?
    Probably.

Am I going to find my signature sound?
    Won't know till I try it.

Want to kick me out of your StingRay church?
    OK by me. Kick on.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, I can't believe you changed the pickups and electronics out! Want to sell the old? I'd be glad to buy em in a heartbeat! PM me if serious on selling them. I LOVE the stingray tone, to me....it is what I hear in my head when I think of bass. I LOVE everything about Spectors, have owned US, Czech, and Korean models....but the tone just isn't it for me. While they are unbelieavable in quality, fit, and workmanship, to me "stingray" defines a sound, not a model of instrument. I have owned 2 Stingray 5's and loved them, but I found that my modulus FB-5 with the Lane Poor "stingrays" it better than my old MM's.

Give me a Spector that has the ray tone, and I have fulfilled my search for MY bass. Too bad I can't afford a Stu custom!