Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicmans vs. Fender P-Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pajo18985, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Hey just wanted to hear your views on these types of basses. I use a musicman but i own a fender but i think the musicman is much better.
    what do you guys think...?

2. Well, both are a main staple for industrial music. I like the MM tone a little better than the P bass tone, but you can get allot more lowend from a P bass.

3. You just can't beat the fat punchy sound of a P-bass.

4. I play a Stingray & a P bass in a classic rock and blues cover band . After putting a set of flatwounds on the P its given me all the diversity I need for my current gig. I now get both the tones I love best.

5. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    2 Different Beasts man......

PJR

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Like PJR said totally two different beast.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always been partial to a p-bass, If I were going to spend the money for a MM, then I would get something else that might have a little more variability (like a Lakland 55-02)...

P@

8. They both have completely different sounds. The P-bass is a lot deeper. To me, it sounds like "real bass." The Stingrays are way brighter, and they're known for their slap tone. P-basses aren't really known for their slap sound, but I personally love slapping a good P.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Both are great basses, but i dont like the feel of the MM. The P can get you alot more sounds if you ever choose to use it in another environment. So just like most other poeple, id say go with the P.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Hey now, this is a family oriented board. ;)

11. I own a SR5 and a new Precision American Standard. The P bass has a very warm and satisfying tone. You have to be careful of you touch however. They don't like to be played too hard. (lots of string noise) The MM has a more modern brighter sound. Good for slapping and the like. The MM sound also has a more pronounced midrange cut. Very good for R&R with a guitar heavy type of sound. It really depends on the type of music you are playing. Blues, R&B, Motown, Oldies, etc. I'd use my P bass. Funk, Fusion, Gospel, Hardrock, etc. I use my MM

jmho

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think I like MM basses more..
    p-basses are good.. but you can do more on an MM
    ... Like slap bass. I do not like the sound of slapping on a p-bass

13. Any suggestions of what bass would best combine both that classic P-bass depth and punch and the famed Stingray growl? I have tried G&L L2500 and personally thought it to be the closest. I liked the Lakland feel allot but it's overall tone was far too refined and modern to be in the same category IMO.

14. I'm after this little beauty myself (well I like the older models with the thicker necks)...

[​IMG]

The ultatmate industrial bass, danny lohner of NIN uses these now, but he used old fender precission basses with maple boards with earlier Nine Inch Nails recordings. You can hear really good examples the classic p-bass' round punch on songs like "Closer" and "Suck." Other than that everyone else in industrial seems to prefer the bridgey punch and growl of the MM Stingray. I see them everywhere in the scene, and they do have a more versitle tone than the P-bass. The reason industrial bassist prefer MM's is their abbility to yield an almost exact guitar like tone yet can be very bassy. They distort beautifully too.

15. No no no... BF, stay away from all those active Fenders. Their electronics are wretched. The passive models sound far better?

16. I have a P and a Stingray, and I like them both equally. The P, as stated before, has a lot of low end punch. In mine I added the Raven Labs P-bass preamp, and it has even more output, and adds a lot more low end to the sound (when you crank the bass). But the Stingray cuts through the loud guitars like a knife, and has a nice feel.

jtbp

17. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if u asked leo which he thought was better he'd tell u a stingray hands down. The stingray was designed to be a "super" pbass. If was supposed to take everything that was wrong with the p bass and make it better. Is this true, not really i dont think. I like musicmans a bit more, i mean i didnt plop down 1200 for one for no reason, but they are both awesome basses. Actually my 2 fav kinds of basses. I dont think the stingray sounds like a better p bass, but just a totally different bass.

18. The pickup combination and feel is all I'm really after. I think I'll just take out the preamp and replace it with an EMG preamp. Either that or I'll just say #*@% it and have a local luther build me my double P five string (cheap). (Yes I'm lusting after a bass with two p-style pickups, and a five string no less). :p

19. they're very different basses. i used to want a stingray, but my reverend covers that punchy/high-end ground well enough, so now i really want an american p-bass.

of course, if i slapped, i'd probably still go for the 'ray.

20. I'm one of those guys that dumps every cent he makes playing into guitars and amps so I bought a P bass 5 as soon as they came out. Over the years I've owned alot of 5 stringed basses. This is one of the better ones. Don't believe what they say about the electronics, I think the new Fender 18 volt system is 1st class. It is silent, clean, and does the job. It will not, however, sound like a StingRay5 no matter how you twiddle the knobs.

jmho