Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicmans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pietzsa, Oct 14, 2000.

1. Pietzsa

Pietzsa

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    I'm in the market for a Ernie Ball Musicman, but none of the dealers around where I live sell them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dealer or mail order dealer other than MF. Thanks

2. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    I think the reason you cant find these basses at a dealer is becuase they are hand made they only make them when an order comes in. (you can watch workers build them in the factory at ernieball.com) American Musical Supply is another good mail order catalog. I beileve when you order them it takes 90 days to get because of this.

3. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    its takes 90 days to get the bass, in my previous post it looks like im talking about AMS.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ive been to bass central and met Beaver. I thinks he's a nice bloke. I played a nice red maple Sterling there in April. E mail him for stock he answers promptly.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Try this place They have a few used.
    http://www.basspalace.com
    Musicians Friend has new ones in there catolog this month.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com
    I just bought a 1980's Cherry Sunburst MM Stingray4 from Daddy's Junky Music in Mass for 700 bucks, I pick it up tomorrow, can't wait!

6. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    http://www.basscentral.com

I talked to Beaver Felton he was really cool and answered all my questions,and i got hooked up with a sweet-ass translucent orange stingray 5 with a white perloid pickguard.

7. It's very possible that the used fretless Sterling on basscentral is going to be mine, unless the price quote I get on the natural fretless Stingray 5 is good or I find a better deal.

Yesterday I spent a long time playing a fretless Sterling, it was like a mind expanding experience for me.. I've got to have a fretless now. :) I felt so free and natural without frets.. I didn't feel like not having lines was a problem either.. I only remember once not fretting the note I intended. And the sound.. wow!

8. Yeah, Steamboat, I know whacha mean! I have a fretless Sterling, too (4 string). I just got it back from my luthier after he applied a clear polymer coat to the fingerboard, put on new Ken Smith med-light rounds, and set it all up with VERY low action. Oy, what a growler! Extremely resonant as well. I played around with it quite a bit yesterday after I came home with it from the luthier's, and it was simply amazing! Mine has lines on it, and with that clear shiny coat over the lined pau-ferro board, it looks like a Pedulla :) Plus, the coating gives the sound a bit more juice in the mwah dept, too; at least that's my perception. After the improvements, it is THE finest fretless I have ever played so far. I'm certainly not forsaking frets, though; my RB5 is my #1 guy, and I love my Ric, too. But sometimes a fretless is the right tool for the job, and this one will have me covered in a major, Mack truck kind of way :D

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are hand assembled, not handmade. BIG difference.

I don't know if you guys live in an area with a Guitar Center, but all 3 Guitar Centers as well as 3 independent dealers hear in Dallas stock Musicmans. You DON'T have to wait for one to be built. It's not like you're buying a Carl Thompson or a hand built Conklin.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's on ebay now. It's a 1991 in near mint condition. It's a natural colored one with a 3 band, the old bridge with mutes, gloss neck finish, a practically new TKL case and a recent setup.
    It's item 466265333, but since I doubt it'll go for over my reserve, I'll sell it for $800 plus shipping.
    I hate to see people buying new Stingrays for $1100 + case + tax when there are a few used ones on the market that are BETTER MADE and a great bargain (and I'm not saying this JUST to sell the bass. It's true).

They are great basses, but I need money.

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Isn't the plural of Musicman, Musicmen?