1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicmaster Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbd, Oct 2, 2008.

1. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Hi all,
    Just looking for some opinions on a vintage bass amp I found a pawn shop.

Its a Musicmaster Bass Amp. It has the silver face.

Thoughts? Sound?

thanks,
    Todd :)

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    How much ? If it's anywhere near 2 bills - get it if it's in working shape ... it it's closer to 3 then probably not.

This is a 12 watt amp. Open back. Clearly not a barn burner volume wise but they really do have a great sound, make absolutely bitchin' guitar amps and they can be recorded really easily - either using hte open back or by plugging in a 15 and mic'ing that.

I use a Princeton Reverb that way and it's very, very cool. A Music Master (or Bronco) is on my list for sure. A SF Princeton Amp is as well. Those little Fenders have a lot of character.

There is a really good Fender guy not too far from Detroit. Tim Stawarz (or something similar...) He might be Northwest Ohio or DAY-Twa not sure which. He hangs at www.tdpri.com and WeberVST last I knew. He gave me really good advice on a Pro Reverb I was working with years ago.

3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    cool, thanks for the follow up, I had a Princeton reverb at one time, it was very cool, in fact, I still with I had it. I think I can this Musicmaster Bass amp for about $100. I'm going to go back over there tomorrow and pick it up.

any other comments or experience this amp out there??
    tahnks,

4. I have this amp -- was the first amp I ever bought back in like '82 and kept it ever since.

5. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Supporting Member

Plunk yer money down, grab it, and never set foot in that shop again - they'll always eye you as the guy who got away with the screamin' deal. I love mine DEARLY. It's a late 70's model that uses 6V6s for power tubes. Might need a new speaker though - worth considering.

6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I'm on it! What speaker would you recomend?

7. fretlessman71

A Celestion G12-30 MG was recommended to me, so that's what is in it.

(It happens to be sitting next to me as I type. Other than it being an 8ohm speaker, I know nothing else about it other than it rocks. :) )

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My first amp, in 1977. It would be a fine practice amp. Note that it has an open-back speaker.

IMHO it's a killer guitar amp. I eventually sold mine to a guitarist.

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    If you're buying it with an eye towards what it actually is, then IMO, you won't be disappointed... Not gonna compete with any drummer or volume-crazed guitarist, but a great little bass amp...

I have a '71 Musicmaster Bass Amp in VG+ condition that uses the old school 6AQ5 tubes. The open back gives it a bit of volume, but holds back the low end a bit. I have run mine into an efficient 1X15, as Mal suggested, and it was a different animal altogether! Great low-volume tone, with plenty of fur...

The biggest mistake that I have made with mine is bringing it to a songwriting session and letting the harmonica player try it out... It has now become his main 'small gig rig' and I gotta admit, it rocks very, very hard!! Rippin' tone and a take charge presence!

-robert

10. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Interesting. Mine used a pair of 6V6 tubes. I have the schematic somewhere -- pretty sure there was no feedback.

11. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    A hundred bucks is a great price for that amp. You may want to swap the speaker for something better, it would likely turn it into a killer little bass recording rig.

12. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound

I'm pretty geeked about it, I am going to surprise my wife with it when I get home tomorrow. She is the primary bass player in the house but I was very pleased to hear that this is also a pretty guitar amp too!

How does the sound of this compare the bassman?

13. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Oh, it's got nothing in common with the bassman amp. The bassman is a higher wattage amp that runs on 6L6 tubes. Bassman amps are known for their great cleans and for how they crunch when you turn them up. They've become a favorite among guitarists, and I, myself, have owned a few over the years as a guitarist. I've never tried one on bass, but it probably would sound great at lower volumes if you wanted cleaner tones.

14. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    On bass, it doesn't distort nicely, at least to my ears.

15. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    yeah, they had two different models. the other tubes are basically a 6v6 in a 9 pin configuration.

16. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    +1

I definitely think of this as a sweet, low powered guitar amp. I suppose it'll work as a quiet bass amp, too, but it really shines with guitar.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    $100 is a smokin' deal. THe bass groind can be cool - but not through the internal speaker - that is just ratty sounding. This is an amp where you turn it until it just sounds good and that's as far as you go...

18. fretlessman71

Actually, my mileage varies compared to the general opinion here - I've had great luck with the overdrive tone on mine, and have used it in recording many a time. I guess it depends on what you're looking for; plus, every amp is different, so maybe I have an especially good one for that sort of thing, who knows.

19. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Same here... I quite liked the distorted bass tone that I could get, (which isn't usually my thing)... I do agree however, that the original blue label speaker leaves something to be desired. I pulled it and replaced it with a Celestion Vintage 30 for a time... Great sounding speaker, killed for rich distortion, and the amp was a beautiful thing to behold for guitar.

Since it is now basically a harp amp, we tried a few different speakers in it, (the Celestion was a bit tight sounding), and settled on an Eminence Patriot Black Powder... Full, fairly taut with a lot of mid presence and a nice bite on the distortion... Not as well suited for bass.

I just got back from rehearsal a few hours ago and we were talking about this thread... I was told not to get any funny ideas about pulling this amp back into my harem!!!

-robert

20. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I got it! I was able to get it for $120 including tax. It even has the owners manual stuffed in the back. Everything works perfectly and the speaker is in good shape. The tone control has a bit of crackle in it but a little pot cleaner will take care of that. Its got a nice sound to it but does not break up very much wide open. I haven't plugged a guitar into yet but the basses sounded real nice.

thanks for all of your help and comments on this, I was very excited when I walked out of the store!