musicmaster bass speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstark, Jul 24, 2004.

1. basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    hello one and all! i am new to the talkbass! well, at least the talking aspect. i've been peeping on different threads for a while. looks like a nice community. i own a 1978 musicmaster bass amp (with the 6v6). i like it alot (with its jensen replacement speaker) sounds killer for guitar but i really would like to suit this with a speaker more apt for bass (especially as i recently converted from guitar to bass to fit the needs of our band, and by the way i am LOVING the bass-no turning back now!) thanks for any advice or references. yeah!

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Welcome to TB!

I have that amp too and you're right, it is excellent for guitar. For bass, you're pretty much stuck w/ low volume practicing because it's an open back cab. Bass cabs are never open back. You might want to replace your Jensen if it's a vintage speaker you want to protect and you play a 5 string, but for regular 4 string use I'd say leave it alone. It was never designed to be a loud bassy amp, it's just a little amp for toneful practicing.
  3. basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    indeed it is not for the volume i play this amp. i would like to play it as a bass amp alongside the champ, kalamazoo, silvertone and other small guitar amps we have around the house. it sounds really good as is. if i crank it i can play along with the super reverb at a moderate volume but with the bright jensen the sound gets a bit too broken up. i read in one thread where i think PATTON emailed ted weber and got advice and a speaker. i may end up doing the same. (or did i read that on the fender forum?) oh well of little consequence. thanks. if anyone has more suggestions that would be awesome. :ninja: