1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

musicmaster bass speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstark, Jul 24, 2004.

1. basstark

basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    hello one and all! i am new to the talkbass! well, at least the talking aspect. i've been peeping on different threads for a while. looks like a nice community. i own a 1978 musicmaster bass amp (with the 6v6). i like it alot (with its jensen replacement speaker) sounds killer for guitar but i really would like to suit this with a speaker more apt for bass (especially as i recently converted from guitar to bass to fit the needs of our band, and by the way i am LOVING the bass-no turning back now!) thanks for any advice or references. yeah!

:bag:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Welcome to TB!

I have that amp too and you're right, it is excellent for guitar. For bass, you're pretty much stuck w/ low volume practicing because it's an open back cab. Bass cabs are never open back. You might want to replace your Jensen if it's a vintage speaker you want to protect and you play a 5 string, but for regular 4 string use I'd say leave it alone. It was never designed to be a loud bassy amp, it's just a little amp for toneful practicing.

3. basstark

basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    indeed it is not for the volume i play this amp. i would like to play it as a bass amp alongside the champ, kalamazoo, silvertone and other small guitar amps we have around the house. it sounds really good as is. if i crank it i can play along with the super reverb at a moderate volume but with the bright jensen the sound gets a bit too broken up. i read in one thread where i think PATTON emailed ted weber and got advice and a speaker. i may end up doing the same. (or did i read that on the fender forum?) oh well of little consequence. thanks. if anyone has more suggestions that would be awesome. :ninja: