1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

musicmaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phreddy, May 14, 2006.

1. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    I was looking at alot of basses at guitar center and noticed a bass called bronco bass. I actual liked the body style so I decide to plug it in and I actually liked the tone, for a squire it was decent. Then recently on eBay I saw a bass called fender music master that looked exactly the same but a different pick guard. It was from the 60’s and I really like the looks of it and I’m assumeing it would sound close to but better than the bronco being as its fender and not squire. Does or has and one own/ed one and can give me any pros/cons to the bass. And I know that no one ever puts them on except for nice basses but maybe some sound clips wouldn’t be to much to ask???

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've owned one and played a couple of others. In "stock" condition they are pretty weak and boring sounding. The only times I've heard a Musicmaster sound good is when the pickup was replaced with something far better, and/or when it's played through a loud tube amp. If you like short scale, and you are willing to do some body routing and pickguard cutting to fit a good pickup in there, it's not a bad bass. You might want to put a better bridge on there too. Sometimes on Ebay you will luck out and find one that has already been upgraded. I wouldn't expect too much from a stock Musicmaster... pretty good starter bass for a kid though.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A Fender Musicmaster was my very first bass. Nothing too special about it, IIRC. It was just a pretty neat little bass to get started on.

4. JSCHRO7376

JSCHRO7376 Commercial User

Feb 23, 2004
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Owner, Schroeder Cabinets
    the Musicmaster was also one of my first basses in the late
    60s. Really nothing special about it and it was pretty expensive in Germany.

5. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I've played one, It sounded smooth and it was fun to fool around on, I'm not sure that I'd ever buy one though

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If I was diggin on the musicmaster, I'd go with a mustang. Basically the same bass, except it sounds very nice.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Agreed, but IMO, it's the electronics and not the pickup... Storytime:

When I was a kid, I had a '78 Musicmaster and hated it because it wasn't a 'real' P-Bass, sounded like snot... I never appreciated it until it was stolen a few years later. Fast-forward fifteen years. I'm older, wiser, (?!?!), and recapturing some of my youth. I score a '78 Musicmaster on ebay... plug it in, and it sounds like snot, exactly as I remember. Before replacing everything, I wire the pickup directly to the jack, and WOW! Snarl, growl, bite... they're all present! Throw some quality electronics in the signal path and it is one fine sounding little bass in it's own right...

Honestly, I'm amazed at the number of 'crappy' pickups that come alive when they're allowed to breathe...

[​IMG]

I couldn't agree more!! :D

-robert

8. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    this is an amazing bass. i started on it, it was a gift from my pastor. that bass was worth probably over 1000. bnut some assholes stole it.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I dunno if it would be worth that much. I typically see them for $450-$500 if they are in mint condition.

Anyway, I owned a '72 musicmaster that I bought for $125. I gigged alot with it. It was easy to play and sounded pretty good. Mine had a P pickup and a new bridge. I can't stand the 2 barrel bridges - I need good intonation.

But, I sold mine a few years ago. No regrets.

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I have a '71 that the finish has yellowed so much it looks green rather than the original blue. Someone swapped the electronics with (I believe) Mustang post/plate, but the stock guitar pickup is still in it.

Very fun to play bass due to the short scale. Sounds reasonable, a little bland, the E string is rather weak in particular. Might be the strings though... what strings do y'all use?

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Pretty bass! I use D'Addario EXL Nickels in Short Scale on this and my Danelectro... Just scored some Chromes in short scale for my Typhoon... mmm... flats...

-robert

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    +1
    Agreed, Same short scale, same body shape, same pickguard, but it has a rounded precision pickup instead of the single coil. We had a new one at a GC I used to work at. I think it was MIJ, but maybe MIM. Anyway, it sounded great, and looked great with it's vintage white body and tort guard. Basically like a nice easy to play precision.

13. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    i think the picup is just a strat p/u with a cover so you cant see the 6 poles. also im pritty shure you can fit a 51 RI p bass pickup in there with out any routing. id probably get all new 'lectronics. i really like that shape alot, its fender but not a fender that meany people have
    also does any one know what wood they use on those?

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Another vote for a CIJ Mustang. String through body is the way to go on a short scale. Better sustain in my experience.