1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicmaster pre wired circuit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dereksilloway, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Is there such thing?
    I got my hands on a 70s Musicmaster body and it needs wiring.
    Is there any pre wired circuits available? If so where would I get it?
    Would a Jazz bass pre wired circuit work in its place?

Any help would be super duper appreciated! Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Isn't it just one pickup, volume and tone?

Wire it like a P-bass, about the simplest electronic circuit there is.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The original had an extra capacitor, dumping highs even when the tone was all the way up. (You can find the diagram on the Fender web site IIRC.)

When I put in an Aero pickup, I wired it like a P-bass and much preferred that. (If I wanted it muffled - which I do sometimes - I could always turn the tone knob down.)

You should definitely have an easier time finding a pre-wired P-bass harness than an authentic '70s Musicmaster bass harness. Lots of vendors on eBay.

HTH!

4. I wasnt able to find a diagram for the Musicmaster on the Fender website, which is fine because I think I will indeed wire it up like a P bass.
    Im planning on putting the Aero pickup in there as well so it instills confidence knowing you have done it the way I plan.
    And indeed I did have a easy time finding pre wired p bass Stuff as opposed to the musicmaster stuff.
    Thanks for the helpful info guys!

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    FWIW, I traded for an all original 73' Musicmaster but no matter what I tried the pots were shot. The shop I got it from had a P bass wiring harness from my 78' P bass I had sold them a while back and they agreed to let me swap it out.
    I soldered it in and that was that. This bass has the stock pickup which is a Duo sonic or Musicmaster guitar pup but the bass has very deep clear tone and is awesome.
    I played it at a club a month ago and the bartender there who played bass was shocked to hear it was the original pup.