1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusicMaster: Things to Look For

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philonius, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Dear TB:

I'm checking out a CL bass this evening; it's described as a '74 Fender Musicmaster. No pics. The paint has been stripped, refinished natural. Asking $400. That's about all I know.

The price is OK, but not great. Anything in particular I should look for/look out for? My limited research so far indicates they often need a pup rewound; approximate cost? Other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Price okay bit high, but not terrible and the PU can be very weak.

3. Philonius

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    PU weak in general, or d/t age and deterioration?

4. mooreon131

mooreon131

Mar 16, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    When the musicmaster came out, it was marketed as a sutdent bass. Therefore they didnt put much consideration into the best bass tone, rather they focused on efficiency, and keeping ocsts low. So they just used surplus strat pickups in the musicmasters, which sound weak, and get a lot of buzz. Personally, I would replace the pup with a rail pup, like a duncan hot rails.

5. Philonius

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Thanks.

6. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    Another option for a pickup is the Aero Musicmasterer. Of the reviews I've read, its a world of improvement over the original guitar pup.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ummm..not so sure here. I just got an all original 75' for around the same price although I only paid 100.00 cash w/trades. Mine had major pot issues and cleaning them did not help. I put in a standard tone /vol/jack set out of a 78' P bass from the shop I bought the bass from. This made a huge improvement in tone and the bass is dead quiet now. The pup is pretty meaty and I can add enough tone to get a sound close to my P basses and it sounds great. This pup is not weak at all. BTW mine is strung with chrome SS flats.
    I have two Musicmaster's my other being the awesome 97' Squier vista with the vista designed 4 pole pup that rocks. These basses are so fun to play and I love them.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just an FYI, the pickups used in the musicmaster were NOT strat pickups. their 6 pole pieces were flush with the bobbin top. they used duo sonic, bronco or mustang guitar pickups in them.

9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thanks John, makes sense since they have no raised poles and are encased in plastic. I have only heard mine and it sounds great. The original wiring had 2 caps which I was told bleed off even more hi end from the guitar pup.

10. Philonius

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Well, I got it. Ended up paying $360; not a super deal by any stretch, but fair enough. It looks to have a thick clear poly finish, which has some cracking. Feels like a toy compared to my FNA Jazzman 5. I'll decide what if anything to do as far as modding or refinishing it after I see how well we bond. It has the right vibe for the cowboy, surf, lounge gig I've got going right now. Pics coming.

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes PICS! Mine was Olympic white that has aged to a weird yellow now. The finish is poly but its not thick at all. The neck was done in nitro. I would do pics but I have issues with doing them :meh: