Musicmaster vs. EB-O

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJB, Dec 4, 2000.

1. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'm thinking of buying a solid body short scale and these two are the main contenders. Anyone who owns or has owned either I would appreciate your comments, anything to look
    out for, etc.

2. I have one of the Squier Musicmaster re-issues from a couple of years back. I've also had a 1972 EB-3L which yields a very similar tone to the EB-0 when just one pickup is used.

I have to be honest - the sound of the Musicmaster (especially with the new improved pickup) seems much more 'standard' and familiar. It really sounds like a Fender bass. The Gibson always seemed very muddy to me and I found that it always went back in the case very soon when playing it on gigs. I guess some folks really like the EB tone, but I really miss the lack of definition.

On the other hand, if you are comparing the original Gibson VS the original Fender, the Gibson is probably a better made instrument, but in terms of sound, I'd certainly say the Fender sounds better.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've played the newer Squier Musicmasters at the local GC, and as RobW says, they just sound like a Fender. My first 'real' bass was a '77 Musicmaster, and though I quickly graduated to a long-scale instrument, the lil' guy always held a special place in my heart. Sadly, it was stolen in '84. Lately I've been looking to re-capture some of my youth and pick one of these squires up. Hey they come in any other color except pink?? All the ones locally are pink...blechh!

The EB-0 never really grabbed my ear, though they do have a certain aesthetic appeal!

4. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    the Squiers came in black and blue as well.
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Thanks for the Squier info guys but I'm really interested in an older Fender or Gibson. I would also consider the Mustang and the EB-3. I'm kinda leaning toward the Gibsons because I already have a Fender Jazz.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think what people are saying is that the older basses aren't very good or don't sound very good. I had a short scale late 60s Mustang and quite frankly it wasn't up to much!

It has been described many times, how Fender got the scale length of the electric bass to 34" by trial and error - they tried shorter lengths and rejected them, no doubt for good reasons. I think any of the older basses reflect this. More recently, I'm sure that luthiers have found ways around this with active electronics and things that didn't exist when Fender and Gibson were first looking at basses.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I agree the EBO is as non-Fender sounding as it gets, but if that's what you're looking for its got a great, lowdown, fundamental woody, bassy sound. Think Jack Bruce with Cream and you've got the tone.

Want a little treble? I don't think so, not with this bass. But that's part of it's charm.

Watch it when you stand up to play though -- this sucker is not balanced and VERY neck heavy.

I'm probably a little sentimental -- my first "good" bass was an EBO. Wish I still had it (sniff).

[Edited by jcadmus on 12-05-2000 at 11:29 AM]
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Woofy,distorted, indistinct sound; unbalanced - yeah that sounds like what I would call "not up to much"! ;)

And Jack Bruce only plays Warwicks nowadays - I wonder why! I presume this is because he is interested in something for creating good music rather than for its "sentimental value"
  9. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I had the good fortune of seeing Jack this past summer, and yes, his Warwick fretless does sing. But I've got nothing against his tone from the Cream days either. :D
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I once had a great sounding EBO. Um...excuse me, while I go kick my butt again for selling it....:D
  11. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Pulled the trigger on a '65 EB-O from Chambers Guitars in Nashville today. Cherry red, all original, I'd put up a pic but they took it off their website already. Woo hoo!

:D :D :D

Thanks for the replies all.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, MJB!

Someday, when I have most of my collection completed, I would like to get a vintage short scale instrument, and that is the one I will go after.

Used to play a no name copy at church when I was a kid, and it had that same deep, almost muddy no treble sound, and on that slim neck and short scale, I could really shred :p

I probably won't play it much when I get it(like most of my 4's) but would like it for sentimental reasons.